Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gfrancica

How to build a Fly Dryer

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Recently I searched the forum for a “How to build a Fly Dryer” post and came up blank. So I figured I would put one up.

Tools needed:

Channel lock pliers

Needle nose pliers

#2 Phillips head screw driver

Hacksaw

Adjustable pliers

Wire strippers

Drill

Drill bits 1/8”, 1/4”, and 7/8”

Vise

Punch

Hammer

File

Tape measure

Hand saw or power saw of some type.

DSCF0419.JPG

Materials needed:

I got every thing at the hard ware store except the foam block “craft store” and the motor “big auction site”

1  5/16”-18x7/8” coupling nut

1  5/16”-18 cap nut

1  5/16”-18 nylon lock nut

1  5/16”-18 all thread

2  5/16” fender washers

1  3/32”x1” cotter pin

2  automotive wire connectors

1  4” round foam block

1  motor 5-6 rpm  AC 100-120V

1  plug with switch

electrical tape

3  1-5/8” wood screws

2  5/8” button head screws

1  1”x6” peace of lumber “I used pine” 

DSCF0418.JPG  

Well if you have all this stuff your ready for the next step!    

1.Cut the all thread to 3-3/4” in length. Then screw the all thread about half way into the coupling nut. Place it in a vise to drill out the threads to receive the motor shaft “Figure 1”. For my motor a 1/4” drill bit worked well, but this may vary. After this is done leave the all thread in the coupling so you know which side you drilled out. Also test the coupling on the motor shaft to assure fit “you want it snug, but not to snug.”

Figure 1

DSCF0421.JPG

2. Now place the coupling in vise to drill for the cotter pin. Punch the coupling about 3/16” in from edge and center. Then drill a 1/8” hole straight though the coupling “Figure 2”. A drip of oil will help with this. After its drilled file off the burs. Separate the all thread and coupling and clean out any shavings.

Figure 2

DSCF0423.JPG

3. Now screw the lock nut about 1” onto the all thread. Place the coupling on the motor and attach it with the cotter pin. My motor came with a hole pre drilled in it. If yours didn’t you will have to do this. Then screw the all thread into the coupling. “Figure 3”

Figure 3

DSCF0416.JPG

4. Prep your wood base. First cut 1 peace 7”x6”. This will be the base. Next cut the back or upright 4”x5”. Now we need to layout the holes for the motor to be mounted to the upright. Using the upright piece mark the center of the board lengthwise. “Figure4” I determined I wanted the centerline of the motor shaft to be 1” down from the top. So I marked it on the board. This hole will be a 7/8” hole. Next we need to mark out the screw hole’s to attach the motor to the upright. I used a straight edge and a measuring tape to determine the distance between the shaft and attachment holes. “Figure 5” In my case it was 9/16”. Next you need the distance between screws. You should be able to measure center – center of the hole and mark it out on your board off of the centerline. For the screw hole’s I used a 1/8” drill bit “don’t drill all the way through the board”. It should look like figure 6. 

Figure 4

DSCF0424.JPG

Figure 5

DSCF0425.JPG

This is what it should look like before you drill.

DSCF0426.JPG

Figure 6 Note, I cut angles on the top of the upright.

DSCF0427.JPG

5. Next attach the upright to the base. I held my upright about 1-3/4” in from edge and centered it on the base. Use the 1-5/8” wood screws and screw up through the base and into the upright, you may want to pre drill for this. “Figure7” Take note of the motor mounting holes. You can now sand and paint the entire base if you chose to do so.

Figure 7

DSCF0428.JPG

6. At this point we are in the home stretch.  Next mark the center if the round foam disc and drill a ¼” hole in it. Then you can attach the motor to the wood base with the 2 smaller screws “Figure 8”. Now slide one of the fender washers onto the shaft followed by the foam disc and the last washer. Now you only want about a ¼” of thread left over. If you have more than this, adjust the lock nut out. Than install the cap nut. Now for the last part if you have no clue at all please ask someone who doe’s. Take the switched cord and attach it to the motor using the wire connectors or you can solder it. Be sure to wrap the wires separately with electrical tape. Again if you have no clue ask someone who doe’s!!!!!!

Figure 8

DSCF0429.JPG

And now for the finished product. I hope this was helpful.

DSCF0430.JPG

Thanks everyone!

I know a lot of people don't like using the big auction site. There are lots of different motors you can use. This one is the bottom of that thing you hang in your shower.

DSCF0431.JPG

DSCF0432.JPG

You can power it with this. A little work and it will work just fine.

DSCF0433.JPG