Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strip Set

new fishing spots

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help finding some fishing spots and information for my Dad and Uncle.

I live in Silver Spring MD and don't get out to the shore much. They're coming down from Vermont for the Deco Convention in late April at Ocean City.

In younger years they've fly fished the surf in Rhode Island and were hoping to get on some action while here. Access is a little bit of an issue since walking the beach for miles is out of the question. They would prefer to fly fish and of course prefer to catch Stripers but anything would put a smile on their face.

Any suggestions on where to go between Ocean City and Dewey, walk on locations, surf, inlets, bay side access. What might be around and accessible with a fly or lure in late April?

Any info. appreciated

Thanks,

There are two inlets, one in OC one south of Dewey. Both have parking nearby and both should have some fine places to cast a fly with late April being a pretty good time. Just walking either side they should be fine if they have experience reading the water. I do not reccommend going out on the inlet jetties that extend beyond the beach unless they possess jetty safety gear.

Thanks Springer,

A few years ago I fished the IR inlet under the bridge but that's the only time I've been over there. I wasn't sure what late April fishing would hold. I did walk the beach some north of IR and in but it didn't seem to hold much structure or and rips. Is there any bay side action that time of year or should they concentrate on the surf?

Do they have a preference on their presentations? If not then maybe try for some flounder somewhere? I fish on a kayak almost exclusively and you can rent them anywhere for pretty cheap even if they did that and pulled them up onto assateague and walked the beach on the northermost side and walked south a few miles they would probably kill it. There's a point that's been developing this winter about a mile from the jetty on assateague that fishes well. Maybe sinking line for flounder? I don't know if that's possible exactly I only know about floating lines but anything pink/char/white for the flounder will do if you decide to go that route. Good luck guys hope to see you put there!

Thanks Springer,

A few years ago I fished the IR inlet under the bridge but that's the only time I've been over there. I wasn't sure what late April fishing would hold. I did walk the beach some north of IR and in but it didn't seem to hold much structure or and rips. Is there any bay side action that time of year or should they concentrate on the surf?

I don't fish with a fly rod but I think the beach is a tough pick with a plug so I would imagine it is the same. In April I have done best on a falling tide probably due to the bay water being a bit warmer. At IR it is not hard to walk the whole stretch of the inlet, they should be able to find some good water and have a decent shot at some fish.