Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Any Ronan Tynan fans?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I know this may be a touchy subject with some New Yorkers and/or Yankee fans, but I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Mr. Tynan the other day and spent 4 really enjoyable hours with him. I can honestly say he is one of the nicest persons I've ever met in my whole life. I am going to see him perform Saturday and probably see him again afterwards. Personally, even before I met him I thought by all accounts that he got a royal screwing in New York by some very petty individuals, not painting the whole city with a broad brush, I know there were plenty of people from there who supported him. But I must say - New York's loss is Boston's gain.

Thank you for your indulgence.

anyone know what he said, specifically?

"Two jewish ladies" doesnt sound antisemitic to me...

Tynan's problems started when he bumped into a real estate agent showing an apartment on his floor to a potential buyer. Back in October, it was reported that the real estate agent joked to Tynan, "Don’t worry, they are not Red Sox fans," to which Tynan apparently replied, "I don’t care about that, as long as they are not Jewish." The potential buyer said, "Why is that?" and he allegedly explained that some "scary" Jewish women had looked at the apartment.

The way the story is recounted in today's NY Times, Tynan says he simply used "Jewish ladies" as a descriptor for the potential buyers who thought "might not enjoy living next to a loud tenor." Tynan said, "I made a comment that was misunderstood. If anyone knows the pain of discrimination, I do," referring to how he used to wear heavy braces on his legs, which were later amputated. Nonetheless, he did apologize and speak to the Anti-Defamation League.

Still, the Yankees fired him, which hurts Tynan, who says they "never reached out" in his defense. He explained to the Echo, "I love New York, the Yankee fans and the city and want to thank them for their support. But the last couple of months have been difficult... All I do is sing a patriotic song for a great country."

The Anti-Defamation League actually supported him publicly, but the Yankees wouldn't hear it. We only mentioned it briefly - in an around about way the other night, and I could tell he was hurt that some people thought of him as being anti-Semitic, which I clearly could tell he is not.

Anyway, I expect to enjoy his performance immensely this weekend and maybe share in his company in the future, as he is very close to my wife's niece and husband, and lives very close to me.

The Anti-Defamation League actually supported him publicly, but the Yankees wouldn't hear it. We only mentioned it briefly - in an around about way the other night, and I could tell he was hurt that some people thought of him as being anti-Semitic, which I clearly could tell he is not.

Anyway, I expect to enjoy his performance immensely this weekend and maybe share in his company in the future, as he is very close to my wife's niece and husband, and lives very close to me.

how could you tell he want John? Just curious...

A man as public as he, who's done so much for NY and the US since 9-11, and having spoken with him for a few hours, and I've been in public service for over 26 years and consider myself a great judge of charater, that is my honest opinion. I'm not and and never have been "starry-eyed", I've met enough celebities in my life. This guy is the real deal.

A man as public as he, who's done so much for NY and the US since 9-11, and having spoken with him for a few hours, and I've been in public service for over 26 years and consider myself a great judge of charater, that is my honest opinion. I'm not and and never have been "starry-eyed", I've met enough celebities in my life. This guy is the real deal.

Speaking of which, I'm enjoying your other friend's work on Person of Interest. :clap:

Whatever the hell that mick, Boston freak's name is. :D

Speaking of which, I'm enjoying your other friend's work on Person of Interest. :clap:

Whatever the hell that mick, Boston freak's name is. :D

Kevin Chapman, I like the show too.

I've did a few Irish Tenor shows.  Three good old boys, if they were Americans they would look like Larry the Cable Guy.