Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewTyer1

Wanted Saltwater flies

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I am new to Saltwater fly fishing and need to buy some flies. That being said, I would prefer to buy from forum members rather than a store. I will mostly be fishing for Blues and Stripers around New England, mostly Massachusetts and Rhode Island and Virginia Beach area of Virginia. So if you are interested, please let me know.

I will be fishing with an 11' 7/8 wt rod using 7wt sink tip line. Any suggestions on tippet strength and length would also be helpful. I will be heading to MA,RI next week so I won't be able to purchase until I get back by the 15 of March but, will make do with some Clousers I purchased from a friend who tied them up for me.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Welcome new tyer! I'd be happy to donate a few flies to your cause, but don't think you have PM privledges yet so don't know how you'd get me your address. Maybe email Tim S (the site's owner) & ask him to forward your info to me?

Newtyer, I can donate some flies as well bud, I'll shoot you an email. The whole website is for new guys, everyone is super accommodating, helpful, and knowledgable. Hope you enjoy it, i know I'm addicted haha.

Any suggestions on tippet strength and length would also be helpful.

For stripers, you could do very well with a 7-foot length of straight mono, 20, 25, or 30#. Of course, you'll want something more substantial for blues, like 60# or wire.

Steve

Newtyer.

For flies tied in the USA quality flies that is you can expect to pay around $6 a fly. You pay that for junk in some famous named tackle shops. I used to buy my lies for way too many years and in the end got fed up with the lack of real choice and very poor quality. The sooner you get to tye your own the better. I am self taught with the help of a great DVD by Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh 50 years behind the vise. In it they show you how to tye a Deceiver and Clouser. It took me just two viewings and I was tying my own. By varying the size of these two flies and making some minor material adjustments you will be well set for the NE Coast and MA.

Ok for now as you are buying then 2/0 deceivers in white with a chartreussse wing and White on white plus a Clousers in size 1/0 and 2/0 in White with Chartreuess wing and white with olive wing will catch you plenty of fish. The issue for me with shop purchased Clousers is that the eyes are way too big and heavy and that makes casting not easy when you are starting out. In fact not easy at any time.

Shop bought flies lack movement for me but will catch you fish.

Mike

Newtyer.

For flies tied in the USA quality flies that is you can expect to pay around $6 a fly. You pay that for junk in some famous named tackle shops. I used to buy my lies for way too many years and in the end got fed up with the lack of real choice and very poor quality. The sooner you get to tye your own the better. I am self taught with the help of a great DVD by Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh 50 years behind the vise. In it they show you how to tye a Deceiver and Clouser. It took me just two viewings and I was tying my own. By varying the size of these two flies and making some minor material adjustments you will be well set for the NE Coast and MA.

Ok for now as you are buying then 2/0 deceivers in white with a chartreussse wing and White on white plus a Clousers in size 1/0 and 2/0 in White with Chartreuess wing and white with olive wing will catch you plenty of fish. The issue for me with shop purchased Clousers is that the eyes are way too big and heavy and that makes casting not easy when you are starting out. In fact not easy at any time.

Shop bought flies lack movement for me but will catch you fish.

Mike

I'm in a great position when it comes to buying flies. I know who ties the flies that I buy, and I'm good friends with each of them. I went to college with one of them, and even though he's moved to Montana, I can call and he'll work on an order for me when he's not guiding.

I'd love to tie my own, but it's another hobby, and I don't any more expenses.

I'm in a great position when it comes to buying flies. I know who ties the flies that I buy, and I'm good friends with each of them. I went to college with one of them, and even though he's moved to Montana, I can call and he'll work on an order for me when he's not guiding.

I'd love to tie my own, but it's another hobby, and I don't any more expenses.

You are very lucky. Mind if you are disciplined then it does not cost a lot to set yourself up to tye Deceivers and Clousers. Then you have a tremendous advantage over flies tyed by others as you have immediancy. I am a slow tyer. But If I set myself a target of just 2 flies a day hell thats 60 a month and it beats wacthing TV. You can never have enough hobbies.

Mike