Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MartinO67

NEW BUGGY ????

13 posts in this topic

With the price of gas going through the roof again i'm thinking my rig needs to go. I'm thinking along the lines of a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but not sure the gas mileage would be any better.

Pics of my current 2009 Dodge Hemi.....

For a 6 cylinder a Wrangler uses a lot of gas

Depends on which model it is. TJ's with the inline 6 gets about 19mpg in perfect driving conditions. The new JK's with the V6, get about 23/24 in perfect driving conditions. I've owned both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishtale7 View Post

Depends on which model it is. TJ's with the inline 6 gets about 19mpg in perfect driving conditions. The new JK's with the V6, get about 23/24 in perfect driving conditions. I've owned both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reel em in View Post

For a 6 cylinder a Wrangler uses a lot of gas

2004 Rubicon.  I still stand behind what I said.  Who drives in perfect conditions. 19mpg I don't think so.

2004 Rubicon.  I still stand behind what I said.  Who drives in perfect conditions. 19mpg I don't think so.

So don't think it. I know, because I've lived it ;) Yes, 19 mpg in the TJ. Trip from LI to Delaware in my 2006 TJ averaged 19 mpg. The same trip in the 2007 JK averaged me a hair over 23mpg. If driving at 65 mph on an interstate is not perfect driving conditions, then I don't know what is.

Well with all this talk of MPG out of your truck. I just recently heard of a very easy and cheap way to get a LOT more MPG.

I researched it, and from very reliable sources, it seems to be OK for your truck and engine, so I am going to give it a shot. Basically, add 2-3 oz of acetone to every 10 gallons of gas(so if you make a 15 gallon fill, i would add 4 oz.). Apparently what it does is disturb the surface tension that the gas retains, and in doing so, it atomizes much better. They say you should get a 20mpg truck to do 28mpg that way, by changing NOTHING else. I'm intrigued to say the least, considering I spend $150/week commuting to and from work.

They say repeatedly, that it MUST be PURE acetone, and not like warehouse acetone with other "crud" in it.

Don't use the acetone trick if you ave any nonmetal tubing present/ It is the perfect" solvent that disolves just about everything. Will not show at first but latter down the line , big repair bills.

Pure acetone is highly explosive. I was in a plant in Florida when the acetone tank exploded. I looked up and saw the back wall of the plant disappear and a fireball 20 feet in diameter.

Bad stuff.

pure acetone is ALSO full strength nail-polish remover. We're talking getting a 8-10 oz bottle like you keep in your medicine cabinet, and putting 2 oz in your car.

Did not know about the degredation of hoses at such a low level. It makes sense tho, but how much worse can it be than ethanol ? It's much lower than a 10$ concentration, its like a .001% concentration.

Sorry but nail polish remover now uses ethyl acetate as one of the main ingreidents because it is slightly safer and not as volatile. Acetone in the chem world is considered to be one of the best and univeresal solvents. So just be careful. in how you proceed.