Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pxatim

Havre De Grace/Susquehanna Flats

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

When I was a lot younger man, I used to fish from shore up there a lot, but up river a bit. I would fish mostly on the Harford side, around the Deer Creek & Rock Run area, and the Lapidum Landing area. The biggest problem is the strong current from the dam release, it can be very dangerous for wading. But if you can catch it when the release is low, it can be waded some, you just can't get too far from shore. There's a lot of rocks under that water, and wading can be treacherous so you have to be extremely careful. I've also fished up there from a jon boat & a canoe, and I've seen folks fishing from kayaks. Those would be your best options. I expect a belly boat could also be used, again as long as you don't get too far from shore & stay down river away from the stronger currents.

I would second the locations Jim has mentioned.  Also, I would suggest you read the Maryland Fishing Guidebook to ensure you are fishing within their Striped Bass open/closed seasons and also ensure that you are using the proper gear.  DNR will be checking, especially in the spawning months.

Here's some of the text from their guidebook:

Susquehanna Flats, Lower Susquehanna River & Northeast River Only

Location: Susquehanna Flats, upstream of a line from Sandy Point to Turkey Point and the Susquehanna

River downstream from a line connecting the Susquehanna State Park Boat Ramp at Lapidum to Twin

Rocks to Tomes Wharf in Port Deposit; and the Northeast River.

Jan 1 – Feb 28 inclusive:

catch & release in these areas and all other areas except Liberty Reservoir, Piney

Run Reservoir, Tridelphia Reservoir, Conowingo Reservoir, Broadford Lake, Jennings Randolph Reservoir,

and Rocky Gorge Reservoir where there is no closed season and the minimum size is 18 inches with no

more than one fish over 30 inches under a two fish creel limit.

Mar 1 – May 3 inclusive:

catch & release with specific gear restrictions, which are:

From March 1 - April 15: the following restrictions are in effect

Stinger hooks are prohibited.

Barbless hooks are required when trolling.

Non-offset circle or J hooks with less than 1/2 inch gap are required when using bait.

No more than six lines per boat are allowed when trolling.

May 4 – May 15 inclusive:

Susquehanna Flats closed to striped bass fishing for this period.

May 16 – May 31 inclusive:

Susquehanna Flats reopen to fishing.

Fishing Locations Allowed: Susquehanna Flats, upstream of a line from Sandy Point to Turkey

Point and the Susquehanna River downstream from a line connecting the Susquehanna State

Boat Ramp at Lapidum to Twin Rocks to Tomes Wharf in Port Deposit; and the Northeast

River.

Creel and Size Limit: One striped bass per person per day between 18” and 26” inclusive.

Eels may not be used from December 16 through

June 1 – Dec 15 inclusive:

Susquehanna Flats and all Bay waters including tributaries open to striped bass

fishing.

Creel Limit and Size: Two striped bass per person per day between 18 and 28 inches, or one fish

between 18 and 28 inches and one fish over 28 inches inclusive.

You really need a boat in this area for spring bass fishing. The water is usually high and wading is not too much of an option. I fished it last spring from a small duck boat. Lots of rocks underwater, don't be surprised if you break a prop. Kayaks are doable but the current is pretty strong at times, expect to get tired.

I used to fish here alot in the summer when the water was lower and wade out from the Port Deposit side up near the dam. Great small mouth fishing and small stripers. It's great when the water is lower and you can rock hop out into the river. Just be careful they don't open the dam on you...we nearly died there one day, seriously.

I would also suggest the Deer Creek area on the Harford County side of the river.  You can park where Deer Creek enters the Susquehanna River and walk up the Harford County side (this area is within Susquehanna State Park).  I've had good luck in the more remote areas away from the tressel bridge.  Watch the water this time of year since the Conowingo dam is running water.