Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oakey

Water Polo

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Anyone here played it, seen it played, or known anyone who played the sport? Anyone know the basic rules? :confused: It is huge out here in Southern California in High Schools and Universities. I am from New Jersey and only heard of the game in passing until I moved here. It is on the news quite often as the Navy Seals down in San Diego recruit High School and College water polo players actively. It is said that they have a better chance of making it through seal training then any other athlete.

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-athletes.aspx#.T0xVb2CyNok

I played on a Y team when I was a kid. It's a killer, the only sport that requires more endurance is biathlon.

In order to take a hard shot or make a clean pass you need to elevate your shoulders above water. Next time your in the pool try and see how long you can do that for, bet it's not long.

And the rules are like a cross between basketball and soccer.

For me the main object was not to drown.

I played on a Y team when I was a kid. It's a killer, the only sport that requires more endurance is biathlon.

In order to take a hard shot or make a clean pass you need to elevate your shoulders above water. Next time your in the pool try and see how long you can do that for, bet it's not long.

And the rules are like a cross between basketball and soccer.

For me the main object was not to drown.

how deep of water are you playing in? can you push off the bottom?

Deep end of an Olympic sized pool.

I guess you could but to duck down to the bottom and push back up would take too long.

Again, the main object of the game is not to drown.