Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demoiod

Lost Baits Recollection

13 posts in this topic

Is it just me or can you remember almost all of the places you have lost baits. I know almost to 100% accuracy where I have lost baits in the last 5 years. "Rattletrap in _____ tree at _____ lake, spinnerbait on _____ log at ___ pond. Frog, line snapped at ____ pond. Jig in _____ brush pile at ______ lake. Its UNREAL !!!!

I've come to realize it it inevitable that I am going to lose many baits a year. I am just surprised that I can remember all of them and when they were. There is a tree at a lake i fish at that has at least $300 worth of frogs, jigs, spinner baits, and bobbers. Its like a christmas tree. My only addition is a Bandit 1-3' crank in baby bass. Its ok, I bought 3 more already.

I remember loosing the good ones. I remember loosing 2 gliders that produced. I was using crosslock snaps when I lost one and I snapped 80lb test braid on the other one. I upgraded to stay-lok snaps on all rods the next week and 100lb test for my jerkbait rod in a week. I also lost a nice prop bait to a musky when my 7 strand wire leader parted at boat side. Upgraded to my own 130lb test flouro leaders and haven't lost a bait to a fish since. All at the same lake and two of them within 20yds a few years apart. That's only a couple that are always on my mind while fishing.:(

I remember loosing the good ones. I remember loosing 2 gliders that produced. I was using crosslock snaps when I lost one and I snapped 80lb test braid on the other one. I upgraded to stay-lok snaps on all rods the next week and 100lb test for my jerkbait rod in a week. I also lost a nice prop bait to a musky when my 7 strand wire leader parted at boat side. Upgraded to my own 130lb test flouro leaders and haven't lost a bait to a fish since. All at the same lake and two of them within 20yds a few years apart. That's only a couple that are always on my mind while fishing.:(

You always remember the heart breakers. :(

Theres a stump at my lake right on the break line & this thing has claimed prob 25 to 30 crankbaits :( But what do I do throw right back to it knowing that I have a 50/50 chance at a stump or fish.But I do remember other locations on other lakes where I lost certain lures on which dock,tree rock vains etc.. Keep telling myself to get a lure retriever!!

I had an old Dalton Special freshwater prop lure that was in rough condition. I spent hours refinishinign it and painted it a purple / black color for nightime largemouth bass. I tied it on in the dark and apparently made a poor knot. On the very first cast it took off behind me off the line. I spent a couple hours the next day looking for it. The ground was flat and covered with knee deep dried grass. You think I could find the blasted thing? It must have gone into the Bermuda Triangle of lost lures.

When I was a kid learning to fly fish I was obsessed with the flies guys left dangling from the branches too high to reach!:laugh:

I used to remember losing good striper plugs, like the night I left multiple Habs needles on a lobster pot dropped right in the strike zone off of point.

Now, I just say :wave: and tien on a new leader and clip on another $25 lure.

Once you get to the point where you realize there are no magic lures and that the lures are just tools to catch fish... it's pretty easy.

:shock:

There are many stages, that we all go thru, in this thing we call fishing.

I have a small tackle box full of old soldiers that may never see the water again.

Partly because they are relics from the days when I, like you KMB, was attached to those lures and partly because I rarely fish treble hooks for LMB nowadays.

Also I have plenty of other treble hooked lures to choose from.

Once you are free of that emotional attachment, it makes it really easy to throw in heavy cover, under trees and other snag infested water... where I catch most of my LMB :)