Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
treblemaker

packing thread

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

ok having some little issues with packing threads. they arent bad butcan be better. i usually lay the first set get them straight. then lay about 4 four then i take my burnishing tool and try to pack them. i take the tip of the burnisher and pack as tight as i can.

i was thinknig about using cp on the wraps and then after it dries push them together. any feed back advice would be great thanks

Dont do the CP thing.

What you need to get is a packing tool from billy vivona, or on guide wraps, just use your thumb.. If they dont move on your tumb it could be one of two things..

Too much tension,

or Improper underwrap technique..

Are there any underwraps?

if so, how are you doing them.

Gabe

I'm going to be starting up gatherings in a couple of weeks, in Staten Island. My packing tool is much better than that plastic thing, but if oyu wrap too tight or are wrapping over an underwrap with no finish - it's going to be very difficult to pack properly no matter what tool you use

Yes, my point exactly, you can never wrap over the straight up thread without having some more of problem. Try putting a coat of threadmaster finish on the underwrap. not a very heavy one, just enough to soak into the threads and cover them. Just one..

Then wrap over it, and you will see how much easier it is, and how little epoxy gets all over the place. Take it from me, NO MORE MESSES NOW! Much much much easier to pack. try it on a scrap blank if you are doubtful.

Gabe