Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gotcow?

Koran question, I'm wondering........

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

How does the religeon of peace and tolerance repond to the Koran being used as a message notebook between prisoners?

Is that not a desecration of their most sacred book? I know what would happen if we did that.

Islam, like most religions, cuts warriors in battle situations (and being a POW counts) some slack on other issues like dietary rules so this is probably one of them.

Another question is why the prison operation (I hesitate to say military since it has outsourced so much of administrative duties to contractors) did not take some desecrated copies right to some mullahs who would have been in the spot of indicting the prisoners for their misbehavior for us.

Islam, like most religions, cuts warriors in battle situations (and being a POW counts) some slack on other issues like dietary rules so this is probably one of them.

Another question is why the prison operation (I hesitate to say military since it has outsourced so much of administrative duties to contractors) did not take some desecrated copies right to some mullahs who would have been in the spot of indicting the prisoners for their misbehavior for us.

Another good question. It's not like we have not spent 10 years there and should have learned a thing or two by now.

"Before the [irish] Brigade engaged the Confederate soldiers at a wheat field just south of Gettysburg, Father William Corby, in a singular event that lives in the history of the Civil War, addressed the troops. Placing his purple stole around his neck, Corby climbed atop a large boulder and offered absolution to the entire unit, a ceremony never before performed in America. Kohl, editor of Corby's memoirs, tells us that Father Corby sternly reminded the soldiers of their duties, warning that the Church would deny Christian burial to any who wavered and did not uphold the flag. The members of the Brigade were admonished to confess their sins in the correct manner at their earliest opportunity."

There may be no athiests in foxholes, but there may also be some questionable theology.

Another good question. It's not like we have not spent 10 years there and should have learned a thing or two by now.

From what I read, the military command was very unhappy at someone undoing a lot of work and blood with one foolish action.

"Before the [irish] Brigade engaged the Confederate soldiers at a wheat field just south of Gettysburg, Father William Corby, in a singular event that lives in the history of the Civil War, addressed the troops. Placing his purple stole around his neck, Corby climbed atop a large boulder and offered absolution to the entire unit, a ceremony never before performed in America. Kohl, editor of Corby's memoirs, tells us that Father Corby sternly reminded the soldiers of their duties, warning that the Church would deny Christian burial to any who wavered and did not uphold the flag. The members of the Brigade were admonished to confess their sins in the correct manner at their earliest opportunity."

There may be no athiests in foxholes, but there may also be some questionable theology.

Actually, he told them that the confederates had stolen all the beer.

I don't think the Irish brigade would kill anyone from the other side over a burned bible.

That wasn't my point -- I just meant that normal religious procedures and battlefields don't mix well. Group absolution in time of battle, and "let no one expect Christian burial who turns his back to the enemy" would not be normal practice.

However symbols matter. People get pretty fired up over buring the flag in this country, and if the U.N. was burning bags of Bibles I think there would also be unhappy people.

Actually, he told them that the confederates had stolen all the beer.

You know there is a statue of him at Gettysburg and a copy at Notre Dame, where he was president. At ND he's called "fair-catch Corby".

we need to get out of there already. I work with a marine who was there. He said it's a complete dump that will never change. They don't want a western democracy so let them live in the 6th century.