Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nytraveler

englewood beach

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Are you going with kids at all? If so, Lemon Beach is where it's at in terms of finding the 'fabled' shark teeth that the area is known for. We go to Venice every year and make time to hit that beach just for that purpose. In terms of fishing, I'm not sure what's going on at that time of year, but can tell you that this very beach lights up with snook in June and July.

You might want to try the pier (or it's called a pier, but almost like a cat walk along the side of the causeway bridge crossing over Lemon Bay (or at least I think it's Lemon Bay)...although it's on the inland side, you can catch pretty much everything back there (in the right season) up to and including tarpon and sharks...if you get bored there, you can always hit the jetties a little north of there in Venice. Even if the spanish mackerel fishing is generally slow, there's usually a nice little 'sunrise suprise' run of them for a short while in the morning. Other than that, the jetties offer smaller jacks, ladyfish as well as some bottom fish (grunts, snappers, small groupers, etc)...the snook are also at the jetties in April, although not at the peak (june/july) time

Good luck and have fun

thanks alby, i wont be with kids. i have a condo right on englewood beach very close to stump pass park so i was gonna concentrate in that area from the surf. but if its happening at lemon bay i will go there also.

Our main catch always seems to be whiting along with some black drum. There always seem to be sharks as well, although I usually catch bonnet heads, blacktips, or lemon sharks. If the terrain is right, sharks teeth in the sand are also a great pastime. you never know what will be in the surf, witht the warm water, macs, pompano, should also be in the mix.

Our main catch always seems to be whiting along with some black drum. There always seem to be sharks as well, although I usually catch bonnet heads, blacktips, or lemon sharks. If the terrain is right, sharks teeth in the sand are also a great pastime. you never know what will be in the surf, witht the warm water, macs, pompano, should also be in the mix.

Sounds like a great time! Can't wait to get down there to get started!

Btw, Stump Pass is where we go to find the shark teeth, not Lemon Beach as I mentioned previously (although it's likely you could find them anywhere along that stretch - except just north in Venice, which used to be the 'shark tooth capital' of the world....the beach replenishment projects have kinda spoiled it for them)

We usually head out on Beach Rd, and turn right to Blind Pass Parking area. Beach is right there. Finding the shark's teeth is hit and miss with the recent wave action that can hide them, or reveal them. Just remember to look out for the fishermen!! We don't appreciate it when you walk into our lines, or decide to swim into our baits!!!

Marty, that was not directed at you, just wanted to warn you that you may have that experience yourself while fishing there:) My concern is for the people who may hurt themselves on the braided fishing line, or the hooked baits.

I see what you're saying...I think all of us have had that experience. I personally love joggers that run into your line when the rod is spiked in the sand haha. But I'll deal with that any day of the week and twice on sunday's if it means I can fish, it's been a long winter! Can't wait!

I wonder if cobia from the surf is doable at all? I've gotten them from the boat before but have never done it land based, is it worth bringing heavy surf gear to try for cobia? I would also love black drum, which I had no idea would be an option.

Being that I'm the one with a fishing rod in hand while my wife and daughter are looking for the teeth, I can tell you that I've never been bothered by shark teeth hunters on that beach...However, I'm there in July when there are no bluebirds or tourists around (aside from myself and my family)...And this includes walking up the beach following individual snook for hundreds of yards with not one single person bothering me...the only 'bother' is that these mid day snook are spooky as hell and a lot of times won't hit anything (different story at dawn however:-))

Right now when the wind allows, the main beach catch has been whiting (kingfish), the black drum I have caught have been the small ones, good eating at about 15" to 18", I have also caught plenty of bonnethead sharks. There should be spanish macs any day now. A cobia is always a posibility, my wife landed a 30" one off the beach about 4 years ago. "Fishing the beach is like a box of chocolates ********** Have fun!!