Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captkenroy

Fly fishing Tip # 78. Easy wiggle tail.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Do you ever think about alternative uses for every day items that are usually thrown away? I do but then I am a little bit warped. I always seem to be a little past top dead center if you know what I mean.

The litle hangers used in stores have intrigued me for years but I never got around to experimenting with them until yesterday. The hangers have always reminded me of the "C tail" plastic grubs. Why, I wondered, couldn't I use the hanger for a template to cut fly tails? They are about the right size.

I chose some 1.5 mil silver mylar film for the tails. If you doubt the durability of this material, look at all the mylar streamers hanging in the wind at car lots--same stuff.

The curvature of the hanger is just right for a wiggle tail. I laid the hanger on top of a sheet of silver mylar and cut a tail using a disposable surgical scaple. A single edged razor should work ok too.

The tail wiggles like a snake. This afternoon, a ladyfish took the only fly I've tied with them so far. All I can figure is a bad knot.

Take a look at the tail. I'll cut another and show a fly using it.

The red stuff in the background is a thin, self healing cutting board.

[img=

Doggonit! I forgot to post the frog leg photo. I took this photo as sort of an afterthought when I noticed that I could make frog legs too. Size of the hanger is 1-3/4X3/4".

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/captkenroy/090.jpg]

Be careful when cutting the inside part. My finger got in the way and it is a littls smaller now.

Do all fly tyers think alike? Outside the box, gotta love it. I have to believe you can use that on a chamois or some other micro suede material to make some great frog legs. Can you give us a reference as to the size when done? Thanks for posting.

I haven't tied but one fly with the tail so far. It is a serious P.I.T.A. to cut. I gotta come up with a better way. I made a similar template to cut Ultra Suede into sort of a snake like form.

I am working on cutters for fly bodies using thin wall 1/2-3/4 and 1" thin wall steel conduit. I cut a short length then sharpen it with a fine cut file then bend into the desired shape with a vise, pliers and hammer.

Ever made fly tails out of condoms? (Unused, please!) Very easy to cut before unrolling.

BTW, the mylar is available in myriad colors. I have solid silver, red/silver green/silver and gold/silver.

I am not a big Clouser user (because I am a poor caster and fish out of a kayak most ot the time) but I can see these on a Clouser. They will definitely swim and kick all the way to the bottom.

Do you ever think about alternative uses for every day items that are usually thrown away? I do but then I am a little bit warped.

i think about recycling dog hair all the time, anyone tried it? good looks on the frog legs too, that would be a killer LMB pattern

When I was a kid I had Nephritis which kept me in doors the summer I was 11. My Dad bought me a Tack-L-Tyer's fly tying kit and, by so doing,

he created a monster. I ran out of material pretty quick so I nammed my windo screen open and shot various and sundry birds with my BB gun

just for fly tying materal. I also trimmed hair from my old Collie, Tip. I tied a few flies I called "Tips."

Ever tie a popper with a Tampon inserter? They pop great!

I think you can still buy plastic/rubber tails already made. But I have not seen them in quite a while. They work great either attached to the hook bend or glued or tied to mono. Great at the ends of rabbit strips!

BobPop

I saw some in our local (Crystal River, FL) Orvis fly shop and immediately bought a pack. Unfortunately, Monicas and Pinfish bite chuncks off the tail and ruin them. The vinyl is not very

bite resistant where the Mylar is pretty tough and about 1/20 the weight.

I was thinking, trace the hanger and cut out with scissors???

Could this be adjusted to less waste, less cutting and more action?

What about that Bob Pop, takes a perfectly good fly and makes it better. and the mylar would give it more of a flash tail effect.

Peace