Bait Rods - The usual suspects?

Rate this topic

mdp0430

Could use some good leads from you guys....

I recently picked up a 10'6" Mojo (3/4-4) and a 9' Tica Dolphin (1/2-3) for artificials. However, the fact remains that I'll probably be throwing bait more often than not (gasp! the horror!), especially in the early Spring. So I'm looking for a 9' and a 10-11' bait rod (to be used with a Saragosa, 704z and Baitrunner). I figure a 9' for the calm days and a 10' or 10'6" for the rough days....

After reading tons of threads on this forum I find that the Tsunami's break, the Tica's (Dolphins) are too flexible and the Okuma Solaris are too stiff in these lengths.... I also see that the Ocean Master's are nice, but $160 for a 9' bait rod?! Which brings me to my question: What do the bait slingers recommend for throwing clams from shore?

Thanks!

Thanks Flytyingguy, the thing with the Mojo is that you pretty much have to use braid with it given the smaller guides. The other thing is that if condition's warrant the use of a 10'6", I'm probably going to need 4-6 just to hold bottom, no? The search continues. Anyone have any suggestions under $150 or should I take my chances with the Airwaves or settle for a cheap Ugly Stick or a Penn Power Stick? Thanks guys!

Tica UEHA works fine for me. I certainly don't have problems with them being too flexible. I actually like the 9' 2-6 spinner for throwing clams with up to a 5oz sinker though it does best with 4. I find that when I'm clamming I'm usually not throwing for distance.

The Tsunami and Tica are still going to much outperform the Ugly Stik (If you think a Dolphin is too flexible an Ugly Stik is much more so). I'd also vetnure they are a better rod for the money than the Power Stick but that is my opinion. No experience on the Okuma.

213 fish species caught to date

Tica UEHA works fine for me. I certainly don't have problems with them being too flexible. I actually like the 9' 2-6 spinner for throwing clams with up to a 5oz sinker though it does best with 4. I find that when I'm clamming I'm usually not throwing for distance.

The Tsunami and Tica are still going to much outperform the Ugly Stik (If you think a Dolphin is too flexible an Ugly Stik is much more so). I'd also vetnure they are a better rod for the money than the Power Stick but that is my opinion. No experience on the Okuma.

Thanks Crabcakes, I had intially overlooked the UEHA because I read about people breaking them. However, if I keep within their rating I'm thinking I'll be fine. How long have you been using yours?

I have a Tsunami 5-Star 10' rod for bait, and it has given me problem-free service so far, and I only paid $40.00 for it! Good backbone and guides, as well as a great reel seat. Casts well, and pulled in some good sized Blues and Stripers, Fluke, etc... No need to spend so much money!

"saying that you don't care about privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech, because you don't have anything to say." Edward Snowden

“There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, and those who do not see”. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

"I love the poorly educated! They are the smartest people, the most loyal people." Donald Trump