Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lxpaul6

St croix Mojo 2-6 rating

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am definitely going to be buying a rod this spring and i cant decide if i want the mojo rated 1-4 ounces or the 2-6 ounce one. How accurate are the ratings on the 2-6? This rod would be for plugging and the smallest i would throw with it is a SS darter and the most i would throw is a 3.5 oz pencil. Now my question is, with throwing plugs in this range, what rod would be better suited for me? Would i be risking overloading the rod too much with a 3.5 oz pencil if i got the 1-4? Would a ss darter and similar plugs be too light for the 2-6? Thanks for looking and i appreciate any feedback. Would love to hear from some of the guys who fish the 2-6 and how they feel it performs on the lighter end of the spectrum, i.e 2-2.75 oz plugs. Thanks in advance -- Paul

I am a newbie but have the 2-6 mojo. It throws great up to 5 oz (the most I have thrown). 2 3/8 all day long. I hear the 1-4 is quite stiff. I would also consider the 3/4-4 if you are going to throw lighter than 2 oz.

GY

I owned and fished both the 10'6" models of the Mojo last year, I sold the 2-6 ounce model after using it on 2 outings. The 3/4 -- 4 oz stick performed way better for me. I felt the 2-6 oz was bulky and heavy, and didn't really need a rod rated to 6 oz when the larger I was throwing was 3 oz pencils and needles, and boy did the 3/4-4oz mojo absolutely launch those plugs. I'm sure it would be able to handle 3.5 ounce pencils as well. If all you are going to be throwing with this rod is super strikes and similar plugs in the 1.5-3 oz range then the 10'6" 3/4-4 is what you want. Again, I'm sure it could handle a 3.5 oz pencil just fine, since I was rocketing 3 ouncers off the beach with it.

I love my 2-6. The rod really throws the best for me around 3-4 ounces, and if you plan to throw in this range most often, I would recommend it. I do think the lighter rod would throw 2 ounces better, if you plan on throwing lighter lures mostly.

I bought the 10'6" 2-6 ounce MoJo last fall to better handle casting the 3 ounce loaded needlefish and heavy tins I was using to launch past the outer bar on the Jersey Shore. I was really pleased with the rod's performance. It was exactly what I needed for this application, as my 10' Lami was just not cutting it.

This is not an "all around" rod and will probably not serve you best as your only surf rod. For me, I bought it with a specific task in mind and it fit the bill perfectly. Based on your description, I think it will work for you, too, but don't expect it to cast light bucktails or Bombers very well.

In more direct response to your question about the ± 2oz. range: I think the 10'6" length and somewhat moderate action allows the rod to load nicely with a 1¾ ounce SS needlefish, for example. 1½ is also doable, but definitely outside the sweet spot.

As I understand it, the 10' rod is a different animal than the 10'6".

I have both rods and will be using them both for different applications.  The 3/4-4oz rod is my primary plug rod and the 2-6oz will be my big plug rod (3+oz).  While I wouldn't hesitate to throw anything between 3-4oz on the lighter rated rod, I do think that it is a bit much for the rod to handle.   There's a good surfcaster's journal review done by Lou Caruso on the 3/4-4oz model where he goes as far as stating that he wouldn't even go beyond throwing 2oz plugs using this rod.  I personally think the rod can handle up to 2.5 - 3oz just fine.  3.5 might be pushing the rod to it's limits.  At 3.5oz, or even 3oz ,and above, you might yourself having to lob cast vs. being to load the rod properly.

That said, I would go with the 3/4-4 oz rod if you are looking in the future to throwing lighter weight plugs (under 2oz).  It's a much more versatile rod.  If you already have another rod to handle lighter plugs, then go with the 2-6oz and use this as your big plug rod (2oz and above). 

I have both rods and will be using them both for different applications.  The 3/4-4oz rod is my primary plug rod and the 2-6oz will be my big plug rod (3+oz).  While I wouldn't hesitate to throw anything between 3-4oz on the lighter rated rod, I do think that it is a bit much for the rod to handle.   There's a good surfcaster's journal review done by Lou Caruso on the 3/4-4oz model where he goes as far as stating that he wouldn't even go beyond throwing 2oz plugs using this rod.  I personally think the rod can handle up to 2.5 - 3oz just fine.  3.5 might be pushing the rod to it's limits.  At 3.5oz, or even 3oz ,and above, you might yourself having to lob cast vs. being to load the rod properly.

That said, I would go with the 3/4-4 oz rod if you are looking in the future to throwing lighter weight plugs (under 2oz).  It's a much more versatile rod.  If you already have another rod to handle lighter plugs, then go with the 2-6oz and use this as your big plug rod (2oz and above). 

I'd kindly disagree with you in saying you'd have to lob cast 3 ounces with the 3/4-4 oz mojo, when I clipped on a 3 oz pencil last year, there wasn't too many guys, actually I don't think there was any guys around me that could reach where I was casting....and this was amongst the crowded rocks of mtk.

I just saw that I contradicted myself in my statement above smile.gif.  I said 2.5-3oz should be fine.  I don't have any practical experience throwing anything greater than 3oz on this rod but if you will be primarily throwing between 2 3/8 and 3 1/2 oz, with the average weight of plug somewhere around 2 1/2 to 2 3/4oz, I would go with the 3/4 to 4oz rated rod.  At anything greater than 3oz, closer to 3.5oz, I'd like to hear some opinions from what other people have to say.

Thanks everyone for the responses, i already have a rod for stuff smaller than two ounces, but two ounces is near the max of that rod, from your responses its sounding like i should go with a 3/4-4 oz rod. How strong is this rod? Meaning, can it take alot of abuse? My lami snapped in half on a ss 2 and 3/8 oz popper, and during heavy surf when id get blasted off a rock wetsuiting i had to be super careful with the tip because it broke easily, obviously id try to be as careful as possible with it, but how (for lack of a better word) fragile are mojos as opposed to lamis?

Thanks everyone for the responses, i already have a rod for stuff smaller than two ounces, but two ounces is near the max of that rod, from your responses its sounding like i should go with a 3/4-4 oz rod. How strong is this rod? Meaning, can it take alot of abuse? My lami snapped in half on a ss 2 and 3/8 oz popper, and during heavy surf when id get blasted off a rock wetsuiting i had to be super careful with the tip because it broke easily, obviously id try to be as careful as possible with it, but how (for lack of a better word) fragile are mojos as opposed to lamis?

I'd say they are pretty solid, mine took a good bit of abuse. But this is just another plus about this rod.....Great warranty and customer service.

St. Croix's are no more durable than Lami's and Lami's are no more durable than St.Croix's. I know this has been rehashed but it seem's it need's to be said again. Today's rods can be depended on and they can last a very long time BUT you have to use some common sense in fishing them, transporting them and storing them, you cannot expect a modern graphite rod to survive a fall where the blank smashes into a boulder, takes a hard wack from a tin that's yanked out of the water by a fisherman who had a little to much coffee, or even tossed in the back of a pickup and allowed to bang around with your other rods.

Many failures occur because the fisherman makes a poor choice in a rod that doesn't match their fishing habits and tendencies. . If you know you are rough with your equipment and know it will get banged around, then your best bet is to go with a composite rod or even all glass because high tech modern graphite rods will rarely survive long if treated in that manner. Modern rods do fail at times due to a manufacturing defect but it's very rare compared to the user causing it's demise. There are a ton of very experienced surfcasters who fish very very hard and many of them have yet to break a rod. Use common sense and treat your rod like the high tech tool that it is.

But the Lami GSBs, e-glass, and S-glass surf blanks have been around much longer and have great reputations for durability. The Mojos are still relatively young in comparison. Even the Arras and SS models have a head start on production. It would be interesting when St. Croix finally offers Mojo surf blanks how they fare over time as custom rod builders start using them in quantity.

I am definitely going to be buying a rod this spring and i cant decide if i want the mojo rated 1-4 ounces or the 2-6 ounce one. How accurate are the ratings on the 2-6? This rod would be for plugging and the smallest i would throw with it is a SS darter and the most i would throw is a 3.5 oz pencil. Now my question is, with throwing plugs in this range, what rod would be better suited for me? Would i be risking overloading the rod too much with a 3.5 oz pencil if i got the 1-4? Would a ss darter and similar plugs be too light for the 2-6? Thanks for looking and i appreciate any feedback. Would love to hear from some of the guys who fish the 2-6 and how they feel it performs on the lighter end of the spectrum, i.e 2-2.75 oz plugs. Thanks in advance -- Paul

The 3/4-4 is really hard to beat but if you are throwing primarily 3+, 2-6 maybe better for you. You should really check out the 11' 3-8. Don't bother with the factory rating on it. It is a legitimate 2-5 rod. It has similar action to the 3/4-4 and is more moderate than the 2-6. It absolutely rockets 2 3/8 Super strikes and won't flinch tossing A47s passed the second bar on high tide. It works a Pencil better than the 2-6.

I have yet to break any Mojo. And I have done my share of foolish things with them. Fished dozens of them, including my main 10'6" 3/4-4 for three years that was one of the first production rods in the series. The X-flock is now worn slick and the epoxy on the guide wraps is all cracked from hoisting all the 20+ pounders and teen Blues bending the blank into a C. I don't like releasing spent fish. So I can say it's a pretty damn strong stick. Having said that, a slip off a rock with the blank knocked on an exposed edge, or a tin flying out the mouth hitting the blank will destroy any rod. I can't say I'm very careful with storage, but I'm always aware of potential things knocking the blank and guides.

The 3/4-4 is really hard to beat but if you are throwing primarily 3+, 2-6 maybe better for you. You should really check out the 11' 3-8. Don't bother with the factory rating on it. It is a legitimate 2-5 rod. It has similar action to the 3/4-4 and is more moderate than the 2-6. It absolutely rockets 2 3/8 Super strikes and won't flinch tossing A47s passed the second bar on high tide. It works a Pencil better than the 2-6.

I have yet to break any Mojo. And I have done my share of foolish things with them. Fished dozens of them, including my main 10'6" 3/4-4 for three years that was one of the first production rods in the series. The X-flock is now worn slick and the epoxy on the guide wraps is all cracked from hoisting all the 20+ pounders and teen Blues bending the blank into a C. I don't like releasing spent fish. So I can say it's a pretty damn strong stick. Having said that, a slip off a rock with the blank knocked on an exposed edge, or a tin flying out the mouth hitting the blank will destroy any rod. I can't say I'm very careful with storage, but I'm always aware of potential things knocking the blank and guides.

Andre i have not had a chance to fish the eleven, is it more moderate or about the same as the 3/4-4oz rod? Secondly i agree, no graphite rod will last long whether it be Lami,Croix, CTS or Century if banged against rock's or having a sinker or tin whipping back and slamming the blank.:th::th:

Guy's that regularly break their rods are either extremely clumsy or have done a terrible job in picking a rod that can stand up to the abuse they put them through. The rod manufacturers disdain these guys and the majority end up paying for it with higher prices and stricter policy's in the end.

Andre i have not had a chance to fish the eleven, is it more moderate or about the same as the 3/4-4oz rod? Secondly i agree, no graphite rod will last long whether it be Lami,Croix, CTS or Century if banged against rock's or having a sinker or tin whipping back and slamming the blank.:th::th:

Guy's that regularly break their rods are either extremely clumsy or have done a terrible job in picking a rod that can stand up to the abuse they put them through. The rod manufacturers disdain these guys and the majority end up paying for it with higher prices and stricter policy's in the end.

It's similar to the 10'6 3/4-4 but with more power. You will feel it load all the way to the butt with 5 oz like you would feel it with 3 on the 10'6.