Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Qmcm31

Looking for a good spinning reel... Any recommendations?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a Shimano Travela MH power, Medium Fast speed, 6'6'', rated 3-8 ounces. Looking for spinning reel to match up to this rod. I have a Penn Battle 6000 on it right now, but it seems a littel big. I am not quite sure if a 5000 will be the right size due to that they are close in size. I think a 4000 will be too small. I would like to stick with a Penn, but I am open to suggestions. I will be primarily throwing plastics and casting jigs 2-4 ounces on average. Fishing from a boat. Fishing with a braided line with a shot of flouro.... Any suggestions?

Your right about the 5000 and 6000 being roughly the same size. Unfortunately, there seems to be a big gap between 4 and 5k reels in a lot of reel series these days. If your basically happy with the overall size of the penn 5000/6000 but would just like to shed a few ounces, I would suggest looking into an Okuma Cedros, Raw II or VSystem in a size 55. Although the Raw is "new", it really has it's origins with the Salina which has been discontinued here in the US after tweeking that reel into the Cedros. Point is both the Cedros and the Raw II are really not that "new". The VSystem has been around a while and has a very decent track record. I think they are all available in regular and high speed versions designed for jigging if that interests you. Too bad Okuma does not get better press here on SOL. They do have some decent stuff. these are all well under the $170 range.

Go by line capacity - how much of what do you need the reel to hold? Aside from that, there really is no "too big" or "too small" as far as I see it. If you get a reel that holds more of your line than you need you'll probably be wasting money, have to deal with filling the extra space on the spool, and be carrying more weight and bulk than you need to, assuming there are no important differences in other attributes you need to worry about like max drag or retrieve speed.

Generally speaking, I think most people use over-sized reels in the surf and under-sized reels on boats and have seen several people get spooled by big fish while at anchor because their little reels didn't have the line capacity.

Here are the reported specs on the Battle:

BTL4000 335/15 • 275/20 • 205/30

BTL5000 405/20 • 305/30 • 250/40

BTL6000 445/30 • 365/40 • 310/50

I'd think the 6k looks about right unless you're using light braid, no?

30 lb spectra braid is ideal on all of those size 55 Okumas I mentioned for a wide range of fishing. I'm sure you can go either up or down from 30lb if you need to as well. You never said if you were looking for smaller or lighter than the Battle 5/6K? If it's slightly lighter you want, then the Okuma 55's really fit that bill nicely. If you want both lighter and smaller but not down to the 4K Battle size, you may want to look at the Finor Inshore 5K or the Quantum Catalyst Inshore 5K. I can't really endorse them from personal experience but after handling both I would have to put them even or slightly above the quality of the Penn Battle which is a decent reel in it's own right. Before you take the plunge, See if you can mount one of those Okuma's on that stick. I really think you will be pleased.

Good luck!