Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L3gend Angler

Lead Substitute For Making Sinkers

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Is someone trying to tell you they painted your crib with bottom paint?

Peace

ps some people use tin.

You can buy ready-made sinkers and jig heads. C2

+1

its fun to make your own stuff if you've got the time, safe space to do it, and the right equipment, but it can also be aggravating, dangerous, and dirty.

but, yes. Tin can be used, its quite a bit lighter though, and crazy expensive right now

Tin & Bismuth are the only two heavy metals I can think of besides lead that have a low enough melting point that you could pour it yourself. But, as has been said, they're both a lot less dense & crazy expensive!

If you're really concerned about the dangers of heavy metals, you could get some tungsten powder & epoxy or some other type of resin & mold your own. It would require some type of release agent to keep from sticking to the mold, but there should be less possible health or environmental issues. But again, insanely expensive! :D

It's hard to get a metal with the density vs volume as lead unless you consider gold.:p

You still have the melting problem. Melting lead is relatively safe if you take some simple precautions. The biggest hazard that I experience is burning my fingers on the hot mold. I wear gloves, but easy to forget. :shock: C2

Why are you 'not allowed' to melt lead? There really isn't another option.

Family situation? Medical conditions? You gotta remember, some of the people on this site live with family still, some have families. Some live with their parents. Some are barely teenagers! Rules is rules when living at home!

Family situation? Medical conditions? You gotta remember, some of the people on this site live with family still, some have families. Some live with their parents. Some are barely teenagers! Rules is rules when living at home!

I understand that. Just trying to clarify, there might be a work around to the problem if we know the reason.

Obviously there are some issues when melting lead, some simple safety precautions are required but think for a minute - would melting a similar metal (assuming there was one) be safer just because it isn't lead? You would still be looking at the same general problems.

In that case; buy jig heads and sinkers. No melting involved. Problem solved. C2

I understand that. Just trying to clarify, there might be a work around to the problem if we know the reason.

Obviously there are some issues when melting lead, some simple safety precautions are required but think for a minute - would melting a similar metal (assuming there was one) be safer just because it isn't lead? You would still be looking at the same general problems.

dad doesnt want me to do it

dad doesnt want me to do it

Melting lead can be dangerous, make no mistake about that. Even the old hands who have been doing it for years have the occasional scary moment. Molten lead can splatter if you drop in a piece that has water inside a fold or cavity or you can drop your ladle or make some other bad move. I would suggest buying an electric lead pot, as it reduces fire possibilities from blowtorches and such. It can be done fairly safely if your outdoors, with heavy gloves, a respirator or with a consistent breeze or a fan blowing the fumes away from you, and you make each move carefully and deliberately.

You should do a search on this site for "how to" and show it to your dad, even ask him to help you with it. He might enjoy a little father-son time.

Why are you 'not allowed' to melt lead? There really isn't another option.

He is a kid and smelting lead was deem dangerous for some one under aged to do. I'm guessing his parents wouldn't be happy with him melting other alloys either.

Legend melting lead or other alloys may sound fun but it isn't probably one of the few things that I hate to do when building my plugs.

If you need something cheap to use as a sinker replacement go no further than your parents car. Spark plugs have been used for generations as an alternate for sinkers.

You can also use these small cotton bags and fill them with sand and use as weights.

Your best bet for now until your older is to just buy the weights. Much safer