Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speedracer

Time for forgiveness....let the healing start.

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

The man who tried to kill Ronald Reagan is apparently unhappy that people tend to think of him as… the guy who tried to kill Reagan. (Hat tip: OTB) John Hinckley is still locked up in the home for the terminally confused, but his lawyers are trying to improve his situation. That means that interviews are conducted and statements are recorded. All of this leads to one of the more curious revelations about the man’s state of mind these days.

The man who tried to kill President Ronald Reagan more than 30 years ago said he would like to be known as something other than a would-be assassin.

John Hinckley made the statement to a doctor who interviewed him in the past year at a Washington mental hospital. The statement and other pieces of information about Hinckley’s life are part of hundreds of pages of documents prepared for court hearings in Hinckley’s case.

A doctor who testified for the government noted in his 80-page report that Hinckley regrets not being able to show or sell the paintings he does, most of them landscapes.

“I would like to be known as something other than the would-be assassin,” Hinckley said.

Hinckley isn’t allowed to sell or otherwise profit from his “artistic” efforts behind bars and, sadly, there don’t seem to be any examples available for us to review. That’s kind of a pity, really. Even if they are every bit as awful as I imagine they would be, there’s a market for everything. It might be nice if some of them actually were put up for auction with the proceeds being sent to the Reagan Library or Nancy Reagan’s favorite charity or something along those lines.

His state of mind doesn’t seem much improved from when he was so desperate to impress Jodie Foster. Recent news articles about Gabby Giffords apparently gave Hinckley some time to reflect.

Another doctor reported that around the time Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in January 2011, Hinckley commented: “Wow. Is that how people see me?” Then he vented frustration about being unable to change the public’s perception.

“I don’t have a microphone in my hand. I don’t have the video camera. So no one can hear my music. No one can see my art. I have these other aspects of my life that no one knows about. I’m an artist. I’m a musician. Nobody knows that. They just see me as the guy who tried to kill Reagan,” he said.

I was going to write something snarky here, but I think Doug Mataconis already provided the only dry, yet obvious answer required.

Well, perhaps that’s because you tried to kill him.

It's way past time for John Hinckley to be released. 30+ years is more than enough time for attempted murder, and it is obvious that he is no longer 'crazy. The justice system is now just being vindictive. Enough is enough. :squid:

Any nut case that attempts to assasinate the president should be executed. You don't shoot the president of the United States, even one as bad as the clown that we now have. Hinckley deserves nothing.

Any nut case that attempts to assasinate the president should be executed. You don't shoot the president of the United States, even one as bad as the clown that we now have. Hinckley deserves nothing.

:th: ... eff him

Why even give him access to the press?

If he gets out, is the public's perception going to change?

To me, he will still be the guy that shot Reagan that day.

I was in DC that day, what a zoo, even more so than usual.

Hinkley changed the public's access to the President, and the other Politicans. Before Hinkley, they would publish the appointments of the President and members of congress in the news papers. You could go and hang out on the street and these folks would drive up get out of the car and walk into the building. It was a great way for the Politician to interact with the people.

No more. Now, they clear the street, or the Pol enters the building from underground. They are insulated from the public, and it gives them an aire of invincibility. Clinton, to the horror of the SS, would like to, shake hands with the public. The Secret Service finally convinced him to stop that practice.

Keep Hinkley where he is. I don't mind a few cents of my taxes going to keep him locked up.

Why even give him access to the press?

If he gets out, is the public's perception going to change?

To me, he will still be the guy that shot Reagan that day.

and Brady.

Coupla points if I may;

# 1). Don't use a .22 in an assasination. PLEASE...

#2). If you are crazy enough to do something like this to impress a woman, pick one who is both hot AND nuts (who may actually BE flattered) and actually PLAYS for the other team.

ps I once won a dial-a-date on the Howard Stern show during the "Stump the comedians" portion with the following joke (early 80's);

"Why did the Israeli's bomb Beirut???"

"To impress Jodi Foster."

Coupla points if I may;

# 1). Don't use a .22 in an assasination. PLEASE...

#2). If you are crazy enough to do something like this to impress a woman, pick one who is both hot AND nuts (who may actually BE flattered) and actually PLAYS for the other team.

ps I once won a dial-a-date on the Howard Stern show during the "Stump the comedians" portion with the following joke (early 80's);

"Why did the Israeli's bomb Beirut???"

"To impress Jodi Foster."

Who was your date with?

Who was your date with?

A Hustler centerfold who was a nurse in Hoboken. When my then girlfriend found out she FREAKED so I 'sold' the date to a friend of mine for some 'consumables' . He had a good time pretending to be me but didn't get laid. Friggin loser.

He needs to be shot.

On March 30, 1981, at approximately 1:30 pm local time,[2] Hinckley shot a .22 caliber Röhm RG-14 revolver six times at Reagan as he left the Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C., after addressing an AFL-CIO conference.

Hinckley wounded press secretary James Brady, police officer Thomas Delahanty, and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy. Hinckley did not hit Reagan directly, but seriously wounded him when a bullet ricocheted off the side of the presidential limousine and hit him in the chest.[6] Hinckley did not attempt to flee and was arrested at the scene. All of the shooting victims survived, although Brady, who was hit in the right side of the head, endured a long recuperation period and remains paralyzed on the left side of his body.

Dennis