Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tomigun

Need some input on a penn slammer

9 posts in this topic

I just stated fishing for stripers !!  The lower Susquehanna and the upper Chesapeake I have a battle 5000, it gets heavy, I'm looking for a spin cast like a slammer !!  Need some help rod and reel, Thank You  

Good morning......The Slammer series is a great all around reel.Size -wise if you want to work a little smaller go with the 360.......if you want to bump up .....460. The drag on these reels have always impressed us in the service department.......nice reel! You could very easily match it up with a Ugly-Stik rod.Just depends on the length you'd want and that you feel comfortable with. I think you'd have a very nice combo.....

Tom ;)

I just picked up the Slammer 360, kept bouncing between the 360 and a Battle. I got out to use it once, no fish on it yet, it feels nice, I think it was a good choice. Now to get a fish on it....

I have used the Penn 560 for several years Striper fishing on Nantucket and several Maine sites with no problem. I have several other larger Penn reels that have done quite well. If you have a problem, return the reel to Penn and I would expect them to solve it.

Bill Mast

400 battle is good I use mine for surf casting off a & footer St CRoix Legend.  I love it.  Just dont push the capacity with braid.  It really gets off the spool well and will knot up.  Other than that great reel.  Fresh water dunk and a strip down and lube and good to go.

I live in West Central Florida and use a Fierce 5000 mated to a medium-heavy Captiva.CV2072MH. It's a two piece 7 footer that is fairly stout for a lighter setup. The reel is heavy and will give you a workout if you jig all day but it's a good setup for inshore saltwater fishing. I have it spooled with 12 pound test, I think I'm going to go to some 17 pound test as the 12 seems too light. I got the reel for $40 and the rod for $20, both new,. from a discount tackle shop and am very happy with it. I took the reel apart and greased it up with teflon grease and soaked the bearings in Tri-Flow teflon lube and it's super smooth. The rod has decent tip action and stiffens up quickly with a decent sized fish on.