Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dreamcatcher

Spinning reels feedback

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi All

This is my first post. My family and I have been cruising the southern Indian Ocean for the last 4 years, fishing Mozambique, Madagascar and Bass da India. I would like to share some of our spinning tackle findings with you. We have Shimano (Stella sw20000,Symetre2500 and Saragosa18000), Daiwa (Capricorn4500j, BG’s and Exceler4000) and Okuma Salina65.

All reels are loaded with braid from 10 to 105 pounds, mostly Powerpro. Firstly the Stella and Saragosa have proved to be great although the Gosa is miles behind the Stella. We favour the Stella for really big fish and therefore have not tested the Gosa to the fullest. The little Symetre is an awesome little reel with no problems whatsoever. The Capricorn has developed a noisy line roller and has yet to prove itself. The Exceler has been fished hard and sometimes been abused by guests, it has finally given in to corrosion and gear trouble. The BG’s come with a bullet proof reputation although we have found them to be totally inadequate for the type of fishing we do, the gear train, and lack of waterproofing is simply not up to the task. The biggest surprise has been the Okuma, at about the same cost of the BG’s, it has caught many sizable Kingfish(GTs), Couta(your Kingfish) and Dorado. It lasted for two years it is still usable although it has developed some gear rumble.

I have just ordered some Biomaster 8000hg,s and seriously considering more Stellas.

Thank you for your feedback, always nice to read.

Are you also considering the new Okuma raw 2, with your good experience of the Salina in mind?

I'm not sure about the raw 2 yet, it costs about the same as a Saragosa here so..

Thanks for the reply.

With regards to the Okuma Raw 2 I do not know the reel. If it is at the same price as the Gosa it would be a difficult choice, hard not to buy Shimano. I brought the Salina as a trial as it cost about $90.00. The Salina 2 is selling for about $115 us.

I am currently restocking the boat and Alan Hawk has been helpful in giving me his recommendations. A few of these we cannot get over here. His reviews are awesome. The way I see it is that due to the low price of the Salina 2 what have we got to lose?

I will however try the Shimano Biomaster 8000hg ($300) and maybe some more Stellas (rob a bank and do not let my wife find out).

Don't rule out the Penn Torque, but it look's like you may not be able to aquire it over there. Alan has given it his :th::th: and it seems to be bullet proof. By your comments on some reels not holding up it should prove to be very reliable with minimal maintenance other than a drop or two of oil on the line roller. But if it's unavailable then it's unavailable.

The Raw is an interesting reel, i can only go by whats been already said but the larger models seem to display drag pressure as high as some of the Stellas which is pretty amazing. Okuma keeps pushing how corrosion resistant it is but that's not what i look at when considering a spinner.

Since you have had corrosion problems it may be a deciding factor. I don't know if you spray down your spinners with a water displacing lubricant but it sounds like the conditions you fish in get quite a bit of salt spray so this may be something to keep in mind to prolong your reels lifespan.

I have a Salina 65 which i aquired for cheap $$$ and i'll tell you it has impressed me, although my go to reels are Shimano and Penn. The Salina's sometimes known for anti reverse problem's have some of the best line lay that i have seen on any reel, due to their eliptical oscillation gear no doubt ,and the all metal frame is not bad for a mid range reel.

I think you will be very pleased with the Biomasters, they are very nice and should perform well. A spray bottle filled with freshwater can go a long way in adding longevity to your reels. Just mist them off after fishing them and preferably wipe them down, or at the least give them a few shot's of a water displacing reel lubricant and they should be in good shape

.I have reels that perform flawlessly after many years of hard use, and a misting of warm freshwater and wipe down with a lubricant (along with occasional internal maintenance) is all that's required. You don't want to submerge them to clean either, it causes more harm than good. You probably are already very aware of these things but i thought i would throw them out there just because it's worked great for me over the years and you mentioned that some reels have given in to corrosion .

It would not be a bad idea to carry the most common replacement part's with you for some of the reels. You mention rough feeling gears, a main gear and pinion is relatively cheap and 90% of the time will solve this issue for you, and a small tub of reel specific grease should serve you well also. The Stella is a fantastic reel but utilizes quite a bit more part's than the average reel , carrying a few replacement part's along with it's schematic diagram can save the day if you find yourself out on the water . I wish i had the time to enjoy sailing, you and your family are a lucky bunch.

Be safe out there;)

I was really rushing through this so forgive my mistakes.

Hi Cnnashman

Thanks for you comments and input.

You are right the maintenance is vitally important to the longevity of the reels. We rinse down the reels after ever outing with fresh water and lubed often. Been on a boat full time and often in remote destinations it is imperative that we do not have gear failure.

I think that the point I am trying to convey is that when it comes to” budget” reels there are some that offer better value than others. For example at the time I purchased the Salina they were the same price as a Daiwa BG. As mentioned it has held up a lot better. Would I carry BG,s again, no, but this does not mean that they are bad reels, just wrong for our type of fishing.

I also think that it is a mistake to compare “budget” reels with the top end reels. Also the price of my newly ordered Biomaster is twice the price of a Salina 2. Is it twice the reel? Time will tell.

To be perfectly honest if not on a budget I would only fish Stellas (Saltigas). Or maybe the other top end brands. I acquired the Stellas before Alan’s review and I feel it is hard to buy a different brand as is there really anything better?