Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Canalfisher22

Will they return early this year?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I'm actually kind of hoping they dont come early so these early herring runs can get a head start and mature a bit before the stripers and blues get to them. A few seasons of that and maybe they will return somewhat in numbers.

what is "scouts" people looking for herring? or actual herring that are early?

The term is usually applied to those herring who are among the first to arrive.

I can't seem to recall any sort of correlation between early Bass and mild winters although it would seem to make sense. It is difficult to tell anymore because in the modern era there are so many holdovers that you can conceivably have a fairly good outing and catch nothing but holdovers early. I know all the theories on sea lice and such, but until a Bass actually tells me where he or she has been, who knows? I have caught fish in nets that were generally not seen in the area by hook and line fishermen for another month or more. Were they there early or were they there the entire time? I have seen what we on the Cape considered to be "starting time" to look for Striped Bass move from mid-May in the 70's to early April today and I know that it is not just a function of weather.

With a warm winter do you think the stripers will come back earlier? Saw well over 100 herring scouts in middleboro today at the rte 44 run......earlier than I can remember.:):)

The herring show in Middleboro the last week of February to the first week in March every year. This has been documented for over 100 years so I would say this is normal rather than it is early. As far as your question, I can't see how a warm January / February in the New England will have any effect yet on fish who will not even move into the rivers to spawn for over another month in waters further south from here. I would expect the stripers to arrive the same time they do every year. There is a lot more involved with striper migration than the water temp being a degree or two warmer even after they move into the shallows to spawn. If there were reports of stripers moving into the hudson, susquehanna, or the delaware early to spawn then they MAY show a little earlier however, the arrival of herring in Middleboro has zero correlation to the arrival of stripers.

The herring show in Middleboro the last week of February to the first week in March every year. This has been documented for over 100 years so I would say this is normal rather than it is early. As far as your question, I can't see how a warm January / February in the New England will have any effect yet on fish who will not even move into the rivers to spawn for over another month in waters further south from here. I would expect the stripers to arrive the same time they do every year. There is a lot more involved with striper migration than the water temp being a degree or two warmer even after they move into the shallows to spawn. If there were reports of stripers moving into the hudson, susquehanna, or the delaware early to spawn then they MAY show a little earlier however, the arrival of herring in Middleboro has zero correlation to the arrival of stripers.

agreed. i never bought the whole warm winter early fish theory. the fish show when they show, and for the most part, the big schools arrive within the same 3-4 days every year.

agreed. i never bought the whole warm winter early fish theory. the fish show when they show, and for the most part, the big schools arrive within the same 3-4 days every year.

I agree with migrating fish but i have found fish like tau tog and flounder will bite earlier if it is warmer.

Right Whales are off the Cape now and have been for a while now. They don't come unless the sandeels and krill are there.

I think that this weather pattern has shifted back to what it was 30 or so years ago. The last few Springs have been wet, cold and miserable to people .

I remember nice Springs years ago.

I agree with migrating fish but i have found fish like tau tog and flounder will bite earlier if it is warmer.

i had a friend who thought he was going out this morning for sea bass, and i laughed, until this kid in the store over heard and butted in telling us that he was actually catching them recently within the last 2 days at an IDL in the canal... When i called to see how he made out he said NO WAY was i going out there in that cold! That's what i though this isn't what i would refer too as warm weather.

With a warm winter do you think the stripers will come back earlier? Saw well over 100 herring scouts in middleboro today at the rte 44 run......earlier than I can remember.:):)

i was there today for about an hour and a half (for lunch) and didnt even see one.