Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nightbite27

Looking for a new setup/EMS6000A Emblem Shot?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a new set up and primarily I'm looking for a jigging rig for the canal. (3-5oz for me) Really leaning at a Saltist and a Mojo Surf. I have a old Emblem and the slightly lower price of a new one has me kinda torn between the Saltist and the newer Emblem Pro. Any thoughts on that set up for mostly jigging the ditch and some heavy plugging?

Has any one used a EMS6000A Emblem Shot? I played around with one at BasPro. Seemed legit for cheap money?

The Shot is a great reel for plugging. Its a pin through design, so if you use it alot for jigging the reel pin will wear down, IE, not last as long. I bought one and spooled it with the new Powerpro 30, feels like the empro, but its $40 less. If you were looking for a lesser expensive jigging reel, look at the shimano spheros or even the penn battle. The saltist or shimano saragosa would be your best bet.. IMO.

They were separate question sorry. I was wondering about how a Saltist on a Mojo would handle moatly average oz jigging/some heavy plugging?

I was just looking for some Shot feed back separate of jigging.

Like Dan said it felt solid for its price.

How's it handle fish?

I bought one of each myself. Haven't used either of them yet can't wait for the $ the shot should be good enough

Oops i own 2 battles as well.. Picked them both up last year and i actually just hot sauced them up for april! Very pleased with the power these reels deliver and I have done some tog and sea bass jigging with the 4000 but I never i used my 7000 to jig. I mostly work light plugs with it for the NIGHT BITE actually, and I spooled yellow PP slick 8 #65 for that and yellow regular pp #20 on the 4000.. ;)

I'm looking for a new set up and primarily I'm looking for a jigging rig for the canal. (3-5oz for me) Really leaning at a Saltist and a Mojo Surf. I have a old Emblem and the slightly lower price of a new one has me kinda torn between the Saltist and the newer Emblem Pro. Any thoughts on that set up for mostly jigging the ditch and some heavy plugging?

I used the new Emblem Pro A on a Mojo last season but mostly just for daybreak plugging and as a backup.

It is a casting demon, for some reason it gets along perfectly with the Lowrider Guides on the Mojo and you can really get it out there.

I wouldn't trust it as a full time jigging reel though, first it's a little bit to slow on the retrieve rate....you would really notice the difference from your older Empro.

Second the quality just doesnt seem to be there. Mine did fine with light service but I saw at least two broken down on the rocks and heard of others.

I don't know about the Saltist but it seems to get good reviews from some guys who jig a lot. It's also lightning fast on the retrieve....even faster than the Stellas and Saltigas some of us use.

That's the reel I would buy if I was looking for a jigging reel in that price range.

I would just talk to someone who uses it on a Mojo first, it's a great rod but the guides are really sensitive to different reel and line combo's.

It can go from a casting machine like it is with the new Empro....to a not so great caster with other combo's.

I use a Saltist 5000H for 3-4 oz jigging in the Canal (rarely 5 oz). I use it on a heavy Lami jigging rod, but I know our fearless forum leader uses it on a (2-6 oz?) Mojo and as far as I know is pleased with it. Hard to beat the retrieve rate. On the minus side, at least on mine, the sideplate screws tend to corrode unless you keep them lubed periodically. Also, the line roller can be problematic, as it is with Emblem Pros (I replaced my line roller with a better version that so far hasn't seized up). Keep in mind that lots of heavy jigging in the Canal with braided line tends to eat up even high end reels. Expect some yearly maintenance, including parts replacement. I sent mine back to the factory to just clean it up (I couldn't get the sideplate screws off), and they wound up replacing the drive gear, pinion gear, and four bearings. All under warranty, fortunately. I'm thinking of getting a spare this season, since 75% of my Canal fishing is jigging.

-bd

They were separate question sorry. I was wondering about how a Saltist on a Mojo would handle moatly average oz jigging/some heavy plugging?

I was just looking for some Shot feed back separate of jigging.

Like Dan said it felt solid for its price.

How's it handle fish?

I'll let you know in june how it handles fish, but on my 10' lami, it throws a 2 oz pencil about (estimated) 30 yards farther than when i had a penn Craptiva on it for a short time last year.

If it was me I'd snatch up that Catalina in the BST. I know it's more money than you were looking at, but it would last you a long time.

The old Emblem is fine for plugging and light jigging, but I wouldn't expect it to hold up if you frequently jig with it.