Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speckhunter80

Kurt Busch

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Well maybe he will never learn , he started with Roush , got a little greedy and left to join up with with Penske , couldn't keep his big mouth shut , Rodger dumped him , just barely got a ride on this low budget team , he is his own worst enemy , Frank

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Two Daytona races, two wreck-filled fiestas. And one fat controversy before the Sprint Cup season even begins: How soon is too soon, or too late, to throw the caution flag?

In the closing turns of the Drive4COPD 300, Kyle and Kurt Busch were paired up on the low line, with Joey Logano and Trevor Bayne linked up next to them. On the high line, Tony Stewart began to make a run, and that's where the race's final troubles began.

Logano apparently tried to go up the track to block Stewart, setting off a chain reaction of events that took out most of the big names remaining in the field. It marked the third wreck that involved cars in the double figures, and presaged a difficult day of racing at the Daytona 500.

Several of the affected drivers took to Twitter to vent their frustrations, while others shook their heads at the carnage.

"Man, I had it won," Logano said. "I wouldn't do a thing different, just got in someone else's mess. Two feet different I would have a trophy in my hands."

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Only six of 43 cars made it unscathed to the finish line of the Nationwide Series opener at Daytona International Speedway.

James Buescher was not driving one of those clean cars.

Still, he managed to dodge and weave his way through an 11-car accident on the last lap of Saturday's race, stealing the victory and setting the stage for what's expected to be a wild Daytona 500.

Buescher joined unknown John King, winner of Friday night's Truck Series opener, as surprise winners this weekend at Daytona. Both came from nowhere to win crash-marred races. Elliott Sadler, runner-up to Buescher on Saturday, said Sunday's race will be much of the same.

"It's the Daytona 500. It's a once-in-a-lifetime race to be involved in and try to win, and I think guys are going to go for it when it's showtime," Sadler said. "I think guys will be patient the first part of the race, test their cars, just like you saw today. When it gets time to go, crazy things happen."

Buescher was in 11th place as he rounded the final turn and made his way through a massive pack of spinning race cars.

"They all piled up in front of me, and we made it through," Buescher said. "It's hard to describe the feeling when you make it through the wreck and you're the only guy. You don't see anybody in front of you coming to the checkered flag. It's pretty incredible."

It was a mess behind him.

The accident, the third multi-car wreck in the waning laps, appeared to start as the tandem of Tony Stewart and Sadler charged to the top of the track to make a three-wide pack among the leaders. Kurt Busch was leading on the bottom of the track with younger brother, Kyle Busch, pushing, and Kurt Busch seemed to start sliding up the surface in an attempt to block the huge run on the outside.

Joey Logano was being pushed through the middle by defending Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, and all four cars drifted higher into Stewart, winner of the past four Nationwide openers here, who was pinched into the wall. That triggered a chain-reaction crash that had many worried about the safety of the drivers involved.

"We got a big run on the outside, and all of a sudden the door got slammed on us," said Stewart, NASCAR's defending Sprint Cup champion. "I don't know why whoever it was turned right, but it wasn't a very good time to either try blocking or moving."

Kurt Busch admitted he tried to "crowd the outside lane."

"Didn't know that there were two cars up there. I thought it was just a single lane," he said. "I was trying to side draft to get the best finish I could at the end. Everybody was racing to the end. Man, a lot of tore-up cars. That's just everybody full throttle at the end."

There was initial concern for his younger brother, Kyle, who appeared to clear the wreck but was hooked by defending Nationwide champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr. The contact sent Kyle Busch straight into the wall.

"I don't even know where to start. I don't even know what happened," Kyle Busch said. "I thought we had the race won. Then those guys were coming on the top, and I thought, 'We'll see where we settled in here.' When they all crashed up high, I was clear. I shot as low as I could, and somebody tagged me in the back and hooked me dead right. It was a really, really hard hit, and there were a few more after that. It seemed like they kept coming.

"I swore when they all went up high. I was the leader for a second, and I'm like, "I won this thing. I won this thing."'

But it was Buescher, who went low -- so low he crossed the yellow out-of-bounds line, but NASCAR said it's allowed when avoiding an accident -- to skirt the cars and take the checkered flag. Buescher's win was his first in NASCAR and came a day after King's victory in his eighth career start.

Buescher, driver for Turner Motorsports, was listed in two of the eight caution periods, and said he was just trying to get a top-10 finish at the end.

"Got down to the end, after we beat all the fenders off of it, beat `em back out, didn't have anybody that wanted to draft with us," he said. "I was just trying to do everything I could to stay in the top 10."

Danica Patrick, meanwhile, started from the pole but was wrecked 49 laps into the race when JR Motorsports teammate Cole Whitt ran into the back of her while bump-drafting. Her car spun into the wall and back down the track. Although she returned the damaged Chevrolet to the track late, she finished 38th in the first race of what will be her first full season in the Nationwide Series.

"Well, we were just doing big pack racing and went down into three, got a little tap, got a little bit sideways, saved it, and then just got hit again and couldn't save it. You guys saw the rest from there," she said.

The multiple big wrecks have prompted concerns about the Daytona 500. NASCAR worked hard during the offseason to break up the two-car tandem racing that fans disliked, and the return of pack racing has led to many accidents over SpeedWeeks.

But Brad Keselowski and Sadler, who finished second and third, both said they feel safe going into Sunday's race.

Keselowski said NASCAR is in a difficult position of giving fans what they want in restrictor-plate racing and making it a safe event.

"I feel like we walk a line in this sport between daredevils and chess players," he said. "When we come to Daytona and a track like this, we're maybe more on the daredevil side of the line. And then we go other places where I'd say we're more on the chess-player side of the line. I think it's important to have tracks like this that maybe average it back out a little bit."

"Ideally, we'd like to just walk straight down the line all the time. But from a standpoint of the sport and the health of it, I think not a lot of people watch chess matches, and I've never seen one televised."

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

Print | shareshare

“Last-Lap Accident in Nationwide Series’ Season Opener Thwarts Busch’s Bid for Victory”

Date: Feb. 25, 2012

Event: DRIVE4COPD 300 (Round 1 of 33)

Series: NASCAR Nationwide Series

Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)

Start / Finish: 14th/10th (Running, completed 120 of 120 laps)

Winner: James Buescher of Turner Motorsports (Chevrolet)

No. 1 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet ImpalaKurt Busch was leading Saturday’s DRIVE4COPD 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway with the checkered flag in his sights before a multi-car crash dashed his hopes for victory.

Busch had his No. 1 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet Impala out front off turn four on the final lap of the season-opening Nationwide Series race. Just a few hundred yards separated him from his fourth career Nationwide Series win and his first at Daytona. But the gaggle of cars running three-wide as their drivers vied for the lead touched off a chain-reaction crash that collected Busch and left him a disappointing 10th when the smoke cleared.

“We were up front, leading laps and doing exactly what James Finch (team owner) would’ve wanted,” said Busch, who was one of 11 drivers caught up in the last-lap crash. “We took the white (flag) leading and had the lead halfway down the backstretch. Everybody was side drafting and we (Kurt and Kyle Busch) got separated. I went to crowd the outside lane and didn’t know that there were two cars up there. I thought it was just a single line. I was trying to side draft to get the best finish I could at the end. Everybody was racing to the end, but there are a lot of torn up cars. That’s everybody being full throttle there at the end.”

Busch started the race in 14th place and wasted no time positioning himself at the front of the field. He climbed to second on lap eight and moved into the lead on lap 28, two laps before the first caution flag waved for debris. After a quick pit stop for four tires and fuel, Busch returned to the track in the lead, which was a familiar spot for the 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion as he wound up leading seven times for a race-high 42 laps.

Prior to the last-lap crash, the 120-lap race unfolded with little incident for Busch and the HendrickCars.com team. The only problem they battled was a slightly tight-handling racecar.

The relatively smooth day positioned Busch well for the race’s final shootout.

A caution on lap 115 setup a three-lap dash to the finish. When the race restarted on lap 118, Busch took the green flag with his brother Kyle tucked in close behind. The duo tried to stay hooked up as they came down the backstretch on the white-flag lap, but they lost contact in turns three and four. As Busch tried to side draft to prevent the outside lane from overtaking the lead, he and his brother were collected in the last-lap crash.

James Buescher won the DRIVE4COPD 300 to score his first career Nationwide Series victory. Brad Keselowski finished second, while Elliott Sadler, Cole Whitt and Austin Dillon rounded out the top five. Tayler Malsam, Timmy Hill, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne and Busch comprised the remainder of the top 10.

There were eight caution periods for 35 laps, with 18 drivers failing to finish the 120-lap race.

The next event on the Nationwide Series schedule is the March 3 Bashas’ Supermarkets 200 at Phoenix International Raceway. The race starts at 4:30 p.m. EST with live coverage provided by ESPN2 beginning with its pre-race show at 4 p.m.

- True Speed Communication on behalf of Phoenix Racing Press Release

DAYTONA BEACH — James Buescher was the surprise winner of the Nationwide Series opener at Daytona International Speedway, dodging a huge 11-car accident that wiped out the leaders on the final lap of today's race.

Buescher was in 11th place as he rounded the final turn and weaved his way through a massive pack of spinning race cars.

The accident, the third multi-car wreck in the waning laps, appeared to start as the tandem of Tony Stewart and Elliott Sadler charged to the top of the track to make a three-wide pack among the leaders.

Kurt Busch was leading on the bottom of the track with younger brother, Kyle, pushing, and Kurt Busch seemed to start sliding up the surface in an attempt to block the huge run on the outside. Joey Logano was being pushed through the middle by defending Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, and all four cars began drifting higher into Stewart, winner of the last four Nationwide openers here, was pinched into the wall.

That triggered a chain-reaction crash that had many worried about the safety of the drivers involved.

"We got a big run on the outside, and all of a sudden the door got slammed on us," said Stewart, NASCAR's defending Sprint Cup champion. "I don't know why whoever it was turned right, but it wasn't a very good time to either try blocking or moving."

Kurt Busch admitted he tried to "crowd the outside lane."

"'Didn't know that there were two cars up there. I thought it was just a single lane," he said. "I was trying to side draft to get the best finish I could at the end. Everybody was racing to the end. Man, a lot of tore-up cars. That's just everybody full throttle at the end." There was initial concern for his younger brother, Kyle, who appeared to clear the wreck but was hooked by defending Nationwide champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr. The contact sent Kyle Busch straight into the wall.

"I don't even know where to start. I don't even know what happened," said Kyle Busch. "I thought we had the race won. Then those guys were coming on the top, and I thought, `We'll see where we settled in here.' When they all crashed up high, I was clear. I shot as low as I could, and somebody tagged me in the back and hooked me dead right. It was a really, really hard hit, and there were a few more after that. It seemed like they kept coming.

"I swore when they all went up high. I was the leader for a second, and I'm like, "I won this thing. I won this thing.'"

But it was Buescher, who went low — so low he crossed the yellow out-of-bounds line, but NASCAR said it's allowed when avoiding an accident — to skirt the cars and take the checkered flag. Buescher's win was his first in NASCAR and came a day after unknown John King won the Truck Series opener in another wreckfest.

The multiple big wrecks have prompted concerns about Sunday's season-opening Daytona 500. NASCAR worked hard during the offseason to break up the two-car tandem racing that fans disliked, and the return of pack racing has led to many accidents over SpeedWeeks.

But Brad Keselowski and Sadler, who finished second and third, both said they feel safe going into Sunday's race.

Keselowski said NASCAR is in a difficult position of giving fans what they want in restrictor-plate racing and making it a safe event.

"I feel like we walk a line in this sport between daredevils and chess players," he said. "When we come to Daytona and a track like this, we're maybe more on the daredevil side of the line. And then we go other places where I'd say we're more on the chess-player side of the line. I think it's important to have tracks like this that maybe average it back out a little bit."

"Ideally, we'd like to just walk straight down the line all the time. But from a standpoint of the sport and the health of it, I think not a lot of people watch chess matches, and I've never seen one televised."

Danica Patrick, meanwhile, started from the pole but was wrecked 49 laps into the race when JR Motorsports teammate Cole Whitt ran into the back of her while bump-drafting. Her car spun into the wall and back down the track. Although she returned the damaged Chevrolet to the track late, she finished 38th in the first race of what will be her first full season in the Nationwide Series.

"Well, we were just doing big pack racing and went down into three, got a little tap, got a little bit sideways, saved it, and then just got hit again and couldn't save it. You guys saw the rest from there," she said.

here is a Cassey broad , what a mouth , she is not aware this is monitored by lots of people , personally I believe she likes to play the gender card , saw her in the garage area with her helmet off and that hair half way down her back , personally I don't care for her , and am glad Mark Martin turned her down to split a ride with her ! you have to listen close Frank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6F7OnzqtDE