Surf Day

Rate this topic

cweed

Yep, they are... He is a great builder, and an even better person. I didn't know he was going to be here, but he caused a severe dent in the wallet. I love his stuff..

My daughter and I are excited for next weekend. Counting down the days...Look forward to seeing you there

Jim

yes, I usually see Tom a couple times during the year fishing LBI and always enjoy our conversations. Saw him yesterday also coming in with a box in hand. ;)

I picked up this sweet Pencil.

yes, I usually see Tom a couple times during the year fishing LBI and always enjoy our conversations. Saw him yesterday also coming in with a box in hand. ;)

I picked up this sweet Pencil.

Funny... Before we met, I was standing next to you when you bought it. That was during my initial hording... I had my eye on that one until you grabbed it!!

I bought the orange pencil. I have another one of his poppers in that same color patter of your pencil... Love it...

i was a big fan of the guy in the back left with the bucktails....he was selling a dozen for $20 of whatever bucktails you wanted ! I was also a fan of the Hook-R Lures...loved them....of course talking to steve from SS was great...great show great people

The bucktail guy is Jersey Bill. I buy his bucktails pretty much exclusively for the quality, not the price. He was clearing out stock at a great price and good for those of you who took advantage of the price he was selling at the show. Wait until you use them. Larger,stronger hooks than most out there. I stock up when I see him out east. Ralph from Hook R makes a really nice plug that swims great and catches.

plays well with others

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinfanatic View Post

opps, i mean't the 4th

that looks like a LOKI "SeaSlider" i picked one up and cant wait to use it...i threw it today just to see the action and it has awesome movement...litterally glides under the surface like a walk the dog retrieve 

that looks like a LOKI "SeaSlider" i picked one up and cant wait to use it...i threw it today just to see the action and it has awesome movement...litterally glides under the surface like a walk the dog retrieve 

If a steady retrieve is what they want then give it to them but I like to throw in some tugs pulls and twitches, to make the lure seem wounded. . Another retrieve that often works is the" pull and stop. sweep the rod to the side then stop. Then reel and move the rod back to the lure when the rod is pointed back at the lure then do it again , and so on. You can sweep it slowly or quickly, whatever they want. Usually it will get eaten once it moves, its escaping, after the pause. On the pause the lure will hover for a second or three before it starts to sink. The lure casts very well but if it gets windy enough and you're having difficulty casting into the wind. Then don't cast into the wind . Cast over the wind , in other words , aim high and let it fly. . Since the lure is wide bodied it usually works best when wide bodied baitsare around Good luck with it, its a fun lure to use

Greg

I look to the sea, Reflections in the waves spark my memory, Some happy, some sad,I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had-Styx

never said anything bad about anyone. THE ONLY THING I MENTINED WAS THE RAFFLE!!!!!!!

The only thing you mentioned was the raffle... and in doing so you accused some upstanding people of a felony. Nice.

As far as never saying anything bad about anyone....see my above comment...

Whether at work or at a party or on a jetty there is always 'that guy'. The kind of 'guy' that stupid rules get made about hot coffee for and lawyers love. Congrats on being 'that guy'. :th:

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

yes, I always enter to win the raffles at all the shows, weither its asbury park, somerset,surfday. WEITHER I WIN OR NOT, its a game of chance .It is a great show and a great place to meet all the vendors that come from all over to display their products and sell in the process. I made this statement after many times of observing the same thing going on.I wonder did you actually think that i was unhappy because i didn't win. After buying alot of my gear from these shows or some of the bait and tackle shops that i meet at the shows or some of them on the internet. I wasn't trying to make the club look dishonest,just would like a change on how the outcome of the raffle. NO! vendors and no club members should be able to enter.they are all making money and gaining customers or willing to join these organizations. Good enough for you SPARKY!!!!!!

The side of that you don't realize is that raffle sales are used to raise money for the club. In the past 12 months JSS has used club money to donate approx $1500 to a young man with muscular dystrophy to fund 100% of the cost of his electric wheelchair. We also gave $1000 off the bat to the Jack Fund. Outside of the costs associated with running surfday, nearly all of JSS funds are donated to charitable causes. Limiting club members and vendors would reduce the raffle proceeds by approx 50%. JSS has about 50 members, on average we purchase $40-$60 worth of raffle tickets. As 612 Fisherman noted, we discussed this as a club and felt that the additional $3k raised and subsequently donated to charitable causes, far outweighs a few sour grapes. We fully understand your point of view, but we decided the good done with those funds takes precedence.

Like i said before i am not upset!! I for one have bought all my equipmen by saving my money so i can afford to buy them. Trust me when i made mention of this,i waited along while.Others also feel the same way .I just brought out in the open. Like i metioned before all clubs have vendors and manufactures have them and there members test the products they make so others can make mention of results in the field.Fishing is agreat sport and brings in big dollars.Take your time to read what i said. I'm regular guy like u .When I give my money for the raffle ,i don't expect to win . the money will go to the club or what ever cause. If i did win i would give my prize toa fisherman,young or old,femaleor male.

Our club doesn't get a crate of Zeebaas' or plugs. Any donations we receive as a club are used for either door prizes or raffles. Now, our club does have a few members who are published authors and have earned their spots as pro-staffer's for specific products. What members are able to accomplish individually does not impact the club and all it's members.

And as far as all of our members having all the equipment money can buy. Our club members are regular guys like everyone else. I for one do not own a zeebaas, I do not own a century or CTS rod. I have to sell gear to buy new gear. I have a wife, daughter and a house to pay for. I have to pack pb&j sandwiches for the week if I have to spend money on fishing gear.

I have no affiliation with JSS other than having friends that are members, that being said, I entered and won nothing in all the raffles and see no wrongdoing in any club member that may have won. I gave to several charities and took a chance at winning something for doing a good thing, I welcome the fact that JSS members also contributed to good causes and the point that a member or members won is simply a matter of the odds.

I have invited longA to our next JSS meeting. I would like him to express his concerns to the club and we can explain our point of view on each of his concerns. Rather than go back and forth online, I feel this would be the most productive way to come to a resolution.

LongA, the next JSS Meeting is on 3/6 in Brick. If you are willing to attend, respond to your PM and I will send you the address. You are very welcome and will be received as a friend. We at JSS would like to hear all of your concerns and we can respond to you with our take on everything. I feel this would be the most comprehensive solution. Please attend.

-Russ Sommers

Surf Day was an amazing day for all members of the club. It ran smoothly and alot of people got the things they came for and more. I seen the crowds 1st hand and we did realize a bigger place may be needed. The seminars were great, packed rooms for all of them. And we want to thank all who attended and had a great day. This is a sport we all love and it showed at Surf Day. Tight line with all the new tackle everybody got..

I have invited longA to our next JSS meeting. I would like him to express his concerns to the club and we can explain our point of view on each of his concerns. Rather than go back and forth online, I feel this would be the most productive way to come to a resolution.

LongA, the next JSS Meeting is on 3/6 in Brick. If you are willing to attend, respond to your PM and I will send you the address. You are very welcome and will be received as a friend. We at JSS would like to hear all of your concerns and we can respond to you with our take on everything. I feel this would be the most comprehensive solution. Please attend.

-Russ Sommers

Great show! Picked up some bucktails at a very reasonable price . . . saving me time in making my own.

This is not a complaint, just an observation. I walked into the show with another gentleman I did not know and he proceeded right past the table without paying the $10 admission. I stopped and paid having my hand stamped and given the ticket for door prizes. Left the show for a seminar, came back and walked in with another gentlemen (new arrival as the first) and he proceeded by the table without paying and I was not asked to show the stamp on my hand.

Again, I am not complaining and will gladly pay the $10 for admission into a great show and the opportunity to learn from some quality striper fishermen. But this may be lost revenue for JSS and the charity's who benefit.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."