Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

kill the bluegills

16 posts in this topic

Dingy I don't know if your familiar with North Farms resivior off rt.68 in Wallingford. That place has a **** load of stunted blue gills. I mean you could take buckets full of them little sob's and not even make a dent in the population. This is one of those places that could use alittle thinning out.

I believe it would be better for the whole food chain if they were to be "ahem" harvested.

it improves the bass population, over time...depending on the size of the lake/pond, and how easy it is to catch the johnny roaches...you could make a differnece in a few short years...

Most of the bluegills and other sunfish in my cove are around a solid pound. My stupid neighbor feeds them a half a loaf of bread a day, they follow you as you walk around the shore. I have caught them in buckets before. They really do suck :mad:

Most of the bluegills and other sunfish in my cove are around a solid pound. My stupid neighbor feeds them a half a loaf of bread a day, they follow you as you walk around the shore. I have caught them in buckets before. They really do suck :mad:

They might suck in one respect but boy are they fun on a light fly rod. Sounds like your pond could use a stocking of pike.

I would love to get some pike or muskies in my water, however its the Quinebaug River. Not sure the state would want pike in an entire river system. There's hardly any quality bass because of all the tournaments and the bluegills. But you are right about bluegills on a fly rod, they are a blast. And actually now that I think of it my dad said someone caught a big pike back in the 70's and he said he thought he had one on in the late 80s. So maybe there is a small population. I hooked into a freight train of a fish a couple of years ago, broke the line clean off. :confused:

Stunted populations of bluegill are a serious problem by me. We have lakes loaded with bluegill, from 3" to like 12" hahaha. I like using them as bait, but sometimes the bigger ones go to the frying pan or to the death bed.

In lakes with serious bluegill populations it will sometimes lead to spawning problems for bass. The stupid bluegill take over a bass's bed and eat all the eggs, before they're able to hatch. Bed fishing in these lakes can be detrimental to bass populations, as soon as you pull a fish off its bed it'll be swarmed with bluegill. Some times the bass will abandon the beds and not even go back to them.

I was told to 'throw them up on the bank' to die if you weren't going to eat them.

There is a simple way to clean bluegill and they are mighty delicious with hushpuppies. Fry them up real crisp and eat them, fins and all.

I read some years ago that, in addition to eating the bass's eggs from the bed, that Nature creates a chemical by the bluegills to suppress spawning which also works on the bass. I can't verify this and i'll look for the paper. Very interesting. IMO. C2

Nature equips the bass to protect their nest from the bluegills.

The problem is when guys are fishing the beds for bass....

the fishermen remove the bass....

the bluegills eat the eggs....

there are less bass....

there are more bluegills.

Don't blame the bluegills, blame the fishermen who bed fish. Leave them alone for a month if you want better fishing.

And from what I read taking the largest bluegills from a stunted lake is counterproductive too. You need as many predators for the fry as possible and the larger males dominate the spawning beds and keep the total number of spawners down.

The lake I fish has a big population of sunnies. When I take the kids out fishing for sunnies, we definitely kill a few when they swallow the hook. I don't kill'em on purpose though. There a plenty of big bass and pickerel to keep them in check. The snapping turtles do a good job on the sunnies we turn into floaters. The lake has a good balance and that's key.

IMO killing pickerel is not good for bass population.

When a cold front comes in sometimes the pickerel can save a day of fishing anyway. .