Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Allen

Guide placement/static deflection trest pics.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Building my first custom, RS 1508 blank, 12' 6". Fuji BMNAG guides. Reel to 30 stripper is 47". Hows it look?

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3183167/width/600/height/450]

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3183174/width/600/height/450]

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3183176/width/600/height/450]

I can use all the help I can get. If you see me screwing something up speak up!! Thanks, Phil

Considering that the tip is where most of the load will be... you'll need some more guides..

The key is, when you pull at almost full force, the line can not touch the blank. The Stripper guide (first one) is there so that the line stays off the foregrip. The line should touch nothing but the guides.

hope that helps!!

Gabe

Hard to tell from the pics but the lower pics look to me like you need to put more of a load in the rod. I agree with the others, it looks like you may need the guides a little closer in the tip. If possible, a pic of the rod under a heavier load showing all the guides from the side would help.

John

Pin, I am IM'ing you the details...

I have built on this stick many times, and 6 guides and a tip works best, caught a 50" drum on it, and didn't have any issues.... And is casts well (guides bullseye)

The last guide to the tip, looks like you are touching, but this is conv, not spinning.

Here is from my notes, good starting point....from the tip, going down towards the reel (in inches)

TIP - 6 - 9.75 - 12 - 13.25 - 16.5 - 21.

guides are 30, 25, 20, 16, 16, 16 and 16 top (tube size is 11)

..not sure if the 30 will be on the ferral, or right below it... that's your choice. Iv have built it both ways, and i like the first guide right below the ferral on this stick (has bend to the butt).

sorry, the tip - 1st guide 6" .... thats the rod tip, not the ring of the tip... I always put the tip on last. so in reality from the tip guide, its closer to 7"

:D

Looks to me that there needs to be a few more guides, If you load that up you will touch the blank in many spots, Thats a 12 1/2' blank you may need 3 or 4 more guides.

And a 30 mm stripper might be a bit big I bet you might be able to down size that a bit to.

The line is not touching anywhere. I can't load it up much more without making some changes, I had a Abu 7001 on it with the drag cranked down as far as it would go, and 17lb line on it, short of thumbing the reel and having the wife stand on the handle, I don't know what to do. I doubt I'd be able to load it more then what's in the photos in fishing conditions.

I doubt I'd be able to load it more then what's in the photos in fishing conditions.

That rod will load much mure during fishing conditions while trying to beach a fish and especially during a cast. To get an idea of the load you may put in that rod while fighting a fish try to hold the rod as if you were fighting a fish keeping the butt at about a 45 degree angle to the line coming out of the tip while the rod is under load. Attach the other end of you line to a drag scale and try to load the rod up with about 3 to 4lbs of even up to 6lbs of pressure. While the blank is under this load check to make sure the line is not touching the blank and that it follows the same arc as the loaded blank. You may need some additional help to hold the scale and someone to hold the rod while you add, remove and move guides to get a good line flow. I am assuming the handle section is complete at this point in which case you could try mounting the rod in a stationary holder that will keep the blank at 45 degrees to the line coming out of the tip. This way you can do it with no additional help.

John

A word of advice, do your static deflection tests outside or use line much stronger than 17lb test. I had the line break once and a rafter shortened the rod by a foot.

definetly stronger line. thumb the reel. make a loop in the line and slip it over a door knob or it on. Pull as hard as you can, or ask someone else to, then check out the line passing through, you will find your way eventually

Building my first custom, RS 1508 blank, 12' 6". Fuji BMNAG guides. Reel to 30 stripper is 47".

I had a Abu 7001 on it with the drag cranked down as far as it would go, and 17lb line on it, short of thumbing the reel and having the wife stand on the handle, I don't know what to do. I doubt I'd be able to load it more then what's in the photos in fishing conditions.

I am not familiar with the blank, but here are the specs: "Line rating: 15-40 lb. Weight Rating: 4-12 oz". I don't surf cast or surf fish, so maybe I'm way off base. When I read the specs on that blank, my head processes them as a 25-30# rod good to throw 6-10oz. IM, 17# test is light for that rod unless you are only going to cast 4oz. If oyu are gonna toss anythng heavier, use heavier line. On a long blank like that, wiht those heavy weights, a tremendous amount of force will be generated, and if you think for a second the rod won't load up more than that when oyu make a ast, you're in for a surprise.

I do not know why you'd start with a size 30, and place it 47" from teh seat? I like using a lot of guides, so maybe it's me.I would only put a guide that far if I was doing a Low rider set up for spinning rods. Again, I do not do this type of fishing, but i would look into usin ga smaller size for teh first guide and placing it 30" from teh reel, and make adjustments form there.

I am not familiar with the blank, but here are the specs: "Line rating: 15-40 lb. Weight Rating: 4-12 oz". I don't surf cast or surf fish, so maybe I'm way off base. When I read the specs on that blank, my head processes them as a 25-30# rod good to throw 6-10oz. IM, 17# test is light for that rod unless you are only going to cast 4oz. If oyu are gonna toss anythng heavier, use heavier line. On a long blank like that, wiht those heavy weights, a tremendous amount of force will be generated, and if you think for a second the rod won't load up more than that when oyu make a ast, you're in for a surprise.

I do not know why you'd start with a size 30, and place it 47" from teh seat? I like using a lot of guides, so maybe it's me.I would only put a guide that far if I was doing a Low rider set up for spinning rods. Again, I do not do this type of fishing, but i would look into usin ga smaller size for teh first guide and placing it 30" from teh reel, and make adjustments form there.

Its a heaver, the running line will probably be 17lb sufix tri, and there will be a shock leader 40-60lb ( ~25 ft) with a knot. Payload for this stick is 8-10nbait

given my limited experience, combined with the many decades of experience of "heavers" from the OBX up to NY, the norm is 6-7 guides, with the smallest being a size 12... but i don't build a rod that will be passing 50-60lb shock through the guides, AND may face weedy conditions, with anything smaller than a 16. These conventional setups, can start with a 25 or 30 MN guide.

I believe an this build, with a static test, Pin is going with 7 guides, and an extra 16 from my above post. I do not think the stripper guide is 47" anymore, its more like 40" now.

I know a lot of you guys build boat and "plugging" rods up north, bait fishing is stupid... :D. I have built smaller plugging rods too, and the layout, guides, static tests are completely different.

below is me loading up a sur1508r, I used 6 guides and a tip, and caught the fish below on the rod, with a little 6500CT, rod work well as designed.... The small box is the tip, larger box is the bait and 8oz.

PS, dont make fun of the mojo shorts :D

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3193995/width/600/height/450]