Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mort

Permit crabs and cement?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anybody know if it is wise or unwise to use head cement or glue on your permit flies? I was told recently that Permit can smell the cement and will not take your fly. Is this true? does it apply to water based head cement as well?

Thanks

The permit I have caught or that my friends have caught were not told that they could smell head cement and therefore would not take the crab or shrimp fly we were fishing. Go figure :o) Seriously, who knows what turns permit on or off. I don't think it is head cement. I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails and I have been tying some shrimp with CCG or Tuffleye Flex covered with HAN. The permit love the shrimp. So do the tarpon and jacks.

This is interesting to me because I once read an article written by a very experienced steelhead angler who won't use cement on his flies because steelhead can detect scents in parts per million.

On the surface, it sounds very agreeable and logical.

But it doesn't explain all the steelhead I've caught on flies tied with head cement.

I'm still open minded about it. Who knows? Maybe I'd catch more without it. Then again, maybe not. What an inexact universe we live in.

Good to hear. That is what I thought but I have never fished for permit so I needed to ask those that have. My first time will be this June in Belize.  I do fish for steelhead and use head cement on all my flies and have had great success on flies for them. Good to know the cement thing supposedly applies to steelhead as well.

Thanks for the info.

You can also look at it from another angle. Do you use any type of bug deterrent, such as moth balls on any of your materials? Did the folks who processed it into a usable tying material? Do the feathers you tie with have any type of scent? What type of chemical could they possibly have been cleaned with while being processed, and could it have a scent? Do you think that the chemicals used to tan fur hides with have any smell, or the dyes used to give them color? Do you have a scent, and if so do you handle your flies with your bare hands?

Fact is, everything has some type of scent to it & it's certainly possible that many species of fish can detect those scents. But, look at how many fish are still caught regardless of all those nasty smells! It's always possible that some fish may be deterred from taking a fly due to a scent, but in most cases is it probable? Hard question to answer 100% positively, but I say your chances are good that most fish won't be bothered by something they may not have been exposed to before or can''t associate with any type of danger.

Understand my point here?

Just don't put head cement on your flies just before you cast them! :D

I have read and been advised to rub my fly with some of whatever the bottom is made of to kind of saturate the fly with endemic scents, don't know how important it is but it doesn't take much effort.

JC

I have read and been advised to rub my fly with some of whatever the bottom is made of to kind of saturate the fly with endemic scents, don't know how important it is but it doesn't take much effort.

JC

I've heard the same, Jon, especially from my elder angling brethren. Like you, I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but it sounds perfectly agreeable.

Another bit of advice from the old-timers is to spit on your fly; part for luck, part to help it sink. YMMV. :-)

Steve,

Just don't spit on it when your mouth is full of cigar juice, I've heard fish hate tobacco.;-/

JC

Finally a bit of useful and practical advice here on the forum :p

O