Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kgpcr

Heasd cement question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I was planning on tying up some salmon flies this weekend but my cement is no where to be found. I dont have any place within 50 miles that sells head cement so i was wondering how nail polish like "hard as nails" would work. Any thoughts?

No reason why you can't use HAN, a lot of head cement is thinned with acetone which would indicate that it is probably pretty similar to nail polish with a different label and a higher price. You can also use super glue if you're worried about really sticking things together, you can get big bottles in two or three viscosities at hobby shops and it's pretty inexpensive.

JC

I've been tying for about 47 years, and did so commercially for about 15 years. I've tried just about every head cement that was available. Most all have pro's & con's, and they all work. However, in all those years, I have yet to find a commercially produced head cement that IMO, is any better than Hard As Nails. Some will tell you that they prefer certain brands for the tying they do, and that's very fair, as we all do different things, but for the tying I've done, which has included a wide variety of fly types, I keep going back to Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails. For the price & availability, you can't beat it!

The only other finish I use regularly is epoxy! :)