Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ElSluggo

Converting to gas heat

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Currently I have oil heat, forced hot water. I need a new oil tank, it has been patched. My boiler is a Weil Mclain and only a few years old. Can that boiler be converted to gas or does it have to be replaced? Thanks in advance

They do sell conversion kits for most boilers,you can call a supply house give them your model & Serial# and ask for a conversion kit /price they won't sell it to you but you'll have an idea of price.if you have a plumber he can do all of the leg work,If you don't have a plumber ask your Buddy's and family members for a trust worthy one.Shop around it's your money.

conversion gun can be installed, efficiency won't be as high as a dedicated gas boiler would be.

get prices on converting to a high efficiency gas boiler along with any federal, state and utility rebates.

sell the old oil boiler on CL and your out of pocket may not be that bad.;)

conversion gun can be installed, efficiency won't be as high as a dedicated gas boiler would be.

get prices on converting to a high efficiency gas boiler along with any federal, state and utility rebates.

sell the old oil boiler on CL and your out of pocket may not be that bad.;)

^^^^^good advice right here, :)

If you convert you'll have to get the chimney cleaned. I prefer oil because you can bargin on the price.  The days of half price oil for cash are getting tough since the advent of g.p.s. !

Currently I have oil heat, forced hot water. I need a new oil tank, it has been patched. My boiler is a Weil Mclain and only a few years old. Can that boiler be converted to gas or does it have to be replaced? Thanks in advance

Call your gas supplier and tell them you are looking to convert. They will have incentives towards a new boiler.

When you use a conversion burner you are altering your boiler. You may void your warranty. Carlin and Riello make good conversion burners. I installed the Carlin EZ gas in a peerless just like the one below in the youtube video. Like Ted said the efficiency is not that great, your probably running at 75-80% eff rating depending. Also Cheech noted, in the State Of Massachusetts, you will have to reline your chimney when you swap from one fuel to another. Another thing to consider in using a conversion burner is the amount of makeup air needed to fire off the gas burner. The State Of Massachuestts is cracking down on make up air. If you don't have adequate make up air you will need to install a mechanical device that brings outside air into the boiler room (fan in the can by field controls).

So rough cost would be $1800-2600 for the EZ Conversion installed depending on the size of your boiler and gas work needed. Hopefully you have a gas meter, if not a new service will have to be brought towards the house and run over to the boiler. Then another 1500 bucks to reline the chimney, give or take depending on the size of the home. I recommend Stainless liner. If you need more make up air, a fan in the can by field controls will run you another $1200....Installing a sealed combustion high eff. boiler that vents out of the basement to the side of the foundation is the way to go.

I would get the price of what it will cost to do the conversion and then weigh out what a new install of a high efficiency boiler at a reduced rate from your gas supplier that will be vented out the side of the house. They will have several types of boilers to choose from in the Burnham line of boilers within all types of budgets and eff. ratings. All you need to do is make the call to the local gas supplier to get the ball rolling and then find a contractor.

Unless you carry a Mass Plumbers Lic, or Gasfitters lic, to pull the permit, a DIY job for the gas is not recommended. However, if you decide not to go high efficiency boiler and can vent the gas appliance through the existing chimney, relining a chimney is something that a home owner can do and that's where you can save some cash.

These are the reasons we reline a chimney. If you don't do it at boiler swap or make it part of the fuel code when you swap out fuels, it could be another 30 years before someone looks at the chimney again. Unlined chimney's can be a problem.

Use Stainless for the Chimney Liner. Here's why you don't want to use aluminum:

http://youtu.be/mHmsBBMkU4Q

thanks there is a lot to think about. do not currently have a gas line coming into the house, perhaps I'll talk to the gas company to see if there are incentives to convert. this came to my attention recently because someone I work with has a similar house and spends half as much annually. also the gas company brought in the line for free about 3 years ago.

thanks there is a lot to think about. do not currently have a gas line coming into the house, perhaps I'll talk to the gas company to see if there are incentives to convert. this came to my attention recently because someone I work with has a similar house and spends half as much annually. also the gas company brought in the line for free about 3 years ago.

The gas company will install up to the meter bar normally free of charge. After the meter bar a licensed gas fitter will size the load according to our load chart and run the main and branches.

Every home is different. Some will save more money then others. A BTU is a BTU. Water doesn't care what heats it. But right now Natural gas is running the equivalent of $1.60 per gallon compared to $4.00 dollars per gallon for home heating oil.

once you get into the house after the meter dont forget to fab or have your plumber fab a manifold so you have gas ready to run to other appliances.  ie; hot water heater, dryer, furnace/boiler, stove top/oven.  even if its not right now at least in the future you will have the option to put in gas appliances w/o it being a bit of a hassle. 

If you convert you'll have to get the chimney cleaned. I prefer oil because you can bargin on the price.  The days of half price oil for cash are getting tough since the advent of g.p.s. !

If you want to "bargin" go to a flea market. Gas compared to oil is already a "deal" so there is no need to chisel to save big $$$$.

The gas company will install up to the meter bar normally free of charge. After the meter bar a licensed gas fitter will size the load according to our load chart and run the main and branches.

Every home is different. Some will save more money then others. A BTU is a BTU. Water doesn't care what heats it. But right now Natural gas is running the equivalent of $1.60 per gallon compared to $4.00 dollars per gallon for home heating oil.

That is good to know thanks