What is your favorite Vegetarian Recipe?

Rate this topic

Nemesis

At my town in the old country sometimes its made with octopus. Though when my mom makes it there is no meat. The fried eggplant can hold its own IMO. I've not attempted to make it for fear of screwing it up...there is a specific ratio of sugar to vinegar to make it just right. Though i've seen many variations on tv and restaurants that claim to be capunata. :squid: To me, it is a summer dish...best eaten a day or three after its made as a side dish to something like grilled tuna...

Definitely a summer dish, when you have nice fresh eggplant and other vegs.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I'm pretty big on making vegetable soups. My favorite is a fall/winter vegetable soup that I made up.

Butternut squash

Carrots

Leeks

Potatoes

Garlic

Vegetable stock

Lemon

Dill

Salt and Pepper

Really simple but comes out really good and is plenty hearty for not having any meat. Sometimes I'll add some fennel or other vegetables I find in season.

Nemesis, how about some braised edaumame (sp?) with bowtie's?

Saute some garlic and diced onion till translucent, add a bag or two of frozen soy beans (shelled) and a splash of broth and heat until warmed through, season with salt to taste. Toss with some bowties and olive oil, perhaps a squeeze of lemon juice and some herbage. :th:

#otterlivesmatter

Up until recently, vegetable. :( And it sucks.

My wife has been on a vegan kick since just before Thanksgiving.

What broth to use would be up to the chef.

If it were me, now, today or tomorrow or on Friday's during lent, I'd use chicken broth. Wife agree's. She's bent the vegan rules to include chicken broth.

Stuff has to taste good, or why bother.

#otterlivesmatter

Braised veggies. Roasted veggies. These are sides but you could eat them alone.

Cut down cauliflower into bite sized pieces, toss with evo, spread out on a sheet tray, sprinkle with salt and roast at 400 until browned. You will have to flip them once or twice. Takes about 45 minutes. Use garlic infused oil if you like.

Cut off the stalks, quarter and core some fennel. Brown the cut sides well. Line them cut side up in a baking dish and add onions, salt and pepper, herbs and some chicken stock. Cover tightly and braise until soft, about 60-75 minutes at 350.

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

Braised veggies. Roasted veggies. These are sides but you could eat them alone.

Cut down cauliflower into bite sized pieces, toss with evo, spread out on a sheet tray, sprinkle with salt and roast at 400 until browned. You will have to flip them once or twice. Takes about 45 minutes. Use garlic infused oil if you like.

Cut off the stalks, quarter and core some fennel. Brown the cut sides well. Line them cut side up in a baking dish and add onions, salt and pepper, herbs and some chicken stock. Cover tightly and braise until soft, about 60-75 minutes at 350.

Congratulations :clap: you just lost your fear of losing your " man card" .

Vegetables are not really all that bad. :)

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

Roasted veggies.
Mike, if you roasted cauliflower at 400 for 45 minutes you'd have carbon.

We roast veggies all the time. Cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, cherry or grape tomato's, butternut squash. Chick pea's.

350 and we start checking at 10 minutes.

Butternut squash is the exception. The longer it roasts the better it gets.

#otterlivesmatter

Mike, if you roasted cauliflower at 400 for 45 minutes you'd have carbon.

We roast veggies all the time. Cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, cherry or grape tomato's, butternut squash. Chick pea's.

350 and we start checking at 10 minutes.

Butternut squash is the exception. The longer it roasts the better it gets.

We roast cauliflower probably 35 minutes at 400 and sometimes might be closer to 45 if we have something else going in the oven. Usually more like 450/475 for 30 I would guess. It's sliced half inch thick down throught the whole crown. Browned but not carbon. Like the florets to get a little crispy. Maybe the shallots and other stuff we throw in with it help it take longer roasting.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

^^^^^^ Thinking about this a bit more- those were roughly the times and temps in the old oven, RIP. Maybe 45 at 400F will turn cauliflower to carbon when I get the next one hooked up. Likely we had big temperature drops with that old POS and especially with other food in the oven.

Point being, roasting them in the oven is a terrific way to cook veggies.

You know they are done when the edges turn brown.

My kids actually pick the off the tray as they walk by. Kids, snacking on roasted veggies. That's how good they are.

Roasted cauliflower is like candy :drool: without convection we're usually 30 - 35 mins at 400

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood