Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Trailer Lights

4 posts in this topic

I need to install hitches on thr front and rear of the Durango I'm buying. As those are direct bolt on items, I'm not too worried. The wiring I need to do has me a bit confused though.

When I'm done, I want a 7 pin round connection on my buggy. No electric brakes, but I will run a fused charging line back from the battery. I charge a deep cycle battery for the camper and will do the same for the school and Boy Scout trailers I'm pulling.

A 4 pin flat would be super easy, as there's a t-connection behind the tailights. Can I run a 7 pin round from that same t-connection? Do I need to install a 4 pin first, then tap into that? My charging line will run back separately to be connected.

Looks like I need something like this:

Any help is appreciated.

Ed is that setup design to tow a trailer that has a 4 flat or a trailer that has the 7 wire RV plug. It sure looks like it.

The 4 pin isn't gonna charge a battery.

The 7 wire plug will becuase the black wire is the Aux12 volt.

Are you absolutely sure there isn't already a towing harness tucked up underneath somewhere?

If there isn't then you will need to run a separate 12 volt line from the battery back to the rear to pick up the 7 wire 12 volt line.

If there is and there is a wire in the harness for the electric breaks that should be 12 volts and you can run that wire to the black line on the plug to get your 12 volts back to the trailer. I just did 3 trucks a couple weeks ago. It isn't as confusing as it sounds.

This might help to.

4 flat

Green=right turn

Brown=Parking lights

Yellow=left turn

White=ground

7 wire

white=ground

green=parking

brown=right turn

blue = electric breaks

black=Aux

Red=left turn

yellow=Aux

You might even be able to buy a ready made harness that plugs into both your truck and the plug itself.

Maybe I should just bring my wiring stuff along next weekend. :laugh:

D,

That set up gives you both options. It's made to tap into an existing 4 pin line. I did not see any wiring at all when we checked the truck out and I had it on a lift for quite awhile. There's a T-connector under the break light cover for easy installation of a 4 pin though.

I understand about the sep. charging line. I'd run a fused line right off the battery, back along the underbody, and straight to the appropriate connection on the 7 pin. The nicely charged camper battery is a plus when setting up in the dark. It'll also be an item I'll install in the BSA and fishing club trailers to run some LED strips. I'm tired of banging around in the dark looking for a camp stove, propane, etc.

Too bad I can't come early or stay late for the FF this year. I'd keep you well supplied in liquids in exchange for a little time with the wiring Friday night. Then again, I'd have to be careful to do the wiring first. Doing the beverage piece as #1 would leave me with some interesting electrical work. :p

D,

That set up gives you both options. It's made to tap into an existing 4 pin line. I did not see any wiring at all when we checked the truck out and I had it on a lift for quite awhile. There's a T-connector under the break light cover for easy installation of a 4 pin though.

I understand about the sep. charging line. I'd run a fused line right off the battery, back along the underbody, and straight to the appropriate connection on the 7 pin. The nicely charged camper battery is a plus when setting up in the dark. It'll also be an item I'll install in the BSA and fishing club trailers to run some LED strips. I'm tired of banging around in the dark looking for a camp stove, propane, etc.

Too bad I can't come early or stay late for the FF this year. I'd keep you well supplied in liquids in exchange for a little time with the wiring Friday night. Then again, I'd have to be careful to do the wiring first. Doing the beverage piece as #1 would leave me with some interesting electrical work. :p

Gotcha. Friday night might be out for me.

I went to walmart and got one of those 12 volt tractor lights and put on the back of the scout trailer to light up the area when its dark and its very bright and lights up the area nicely. Trailer already had lights in it when we bought it so I just had to tap a line and wire it in.

My sisters durango had a trailer harness already installed so thats why I asked. Sometimes they like to tuck them nicely back into the other wiring harnesses and you'd never see them. They make premade harnesses that just plug into your existing wiring to so I'm sure tapping into the plugs that are already there is an option if there is no harness tucked up into the other harnesses.

Best thing to do is find a trailer place and ask them. I'm lucky down here as there is a trailer place just about on every corner. Walmart use to sell the premade harnesses to at one time, not sure if they still do or not.

Actually I just checked my own truck and they put a premade 4 pin on mine nad tapped it in to the other harnesses underneith that also have 4 pin plugs on the end. So I am sure you can get one to go out to the 7 pin plug, you would just need to attach the wires to the plug.