Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

Advice needed: Turtle tank cleaning

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

My daughter brought home 2 baby turtles a while back.

She caught them in the local pond. 1 painter, 1 slider.

They are about the size of chips ahoy cookie now.

They are in a 10 gallon tank with a filter. They have rocks to lay on.

Every 10 days the tank starts to stink, even though the water is clear.

I clean everything with hot water. I scrub the rocks and flush/change the filter.

The turtles will be transitioning to freedom this spring. They will be transplanted to my neighbor's back yard pond,

then released back to the pond they came from in September.

In the mean-time, is there anything I can do to make the tank stop stinking so quickly?

My hunch is a larger tank would be the answer, but I don't want to spend the dough. They will be released in May.

Can I clean the tank and rocks with a mild bleach solution, provided I rinse thoroughly?

Thanks, mah friends :wave:

My daughter brought home 2 baby turtles a while back.

She caught them in the local pond. 1 painter, 1 slider.

They are about the size of chips ahoy cookie now.

They are in a 10 gallon tank with a filter. They have rocks to lay on.

Every 10 days the tank starts to stink, even though the water is clear.

I clean everything with hot water. I scrub the rocks and flush/change the filter.

The turtles will be transitioning to freedom this spring. They will be transplanted to my neighbor's back yard pond,

then released back to the pond they came from in September.

In the mean-time, is there anything I can do to make the tank stop stinking so quickly?

My hunch is a larger tank would be the answer, but I don't want to spend the dough. They will be released in May.

Can I clean the tank and rocks with a mild bleach solution, provided I rinse thoroughly?

Thanks, mah friends :wave:

Ever try turtle soup

I have three turtles, 2 in 1 tank and the other in a tank of its own. I noticed the same thing, starts to stink wicked fast and cleaning the tanks once a week is a pain in the butt. I did alot of research and came to realize that the rocks in the bottom were not necassary and all they really do is collect leftover food and poop so I took them out and it's just the glass on the bottom. Without the rocks you can see all the nasty things in there and clean em out easy with a suction gravel pump thing I got at petco for $10 or even a fish dip net if you wanted but the suction thing works best. When it starts stinking I use that and remove all the water and waste without having to take the turtles out or carry the tank somewhere to dump it. Now I only have to really clean it about every month and a half. I take the turtles and all their stuff out, drain it with the pump and then spray it down with scrubbing bubbles, let it soak for awhile, then scrub it down with the green side of a sponge, sometimes the buildup won't come off all the way like that so I scrape the sides with a razor blade, then rinse a few times with hot water. It sounds like a real pain but it actually only takes about 15 minutes for the whole deal. I've found this to be the easiest way and I get less angry when it comes time to clean them. I hope this helps you out

I did the same thing one time....

I used a plastic tub for a tank, put a small heater in there and left it in the garage.

You mentioned a filter, does it use charcoal?, if so add extra if possible.

I made my own out of a soda bottle some tubing, and a small pump.

Throw some minnows in there, they help.

And yes, bleach the rocks, rinse, then air dry.

*ly! If you clean the tank WEAR GLOVES !! A friend of mine had the same issue and while cleaning the tank he slightly nicked himself on something. Two weeks later he was being

told they were going to be taking off his hand and part of his forearm if the massive dose of IV antibiotics didn't work.

*ly! If you clean the tank WEAR GLOVES !! A friend of mine had the same issue and while cleaning the tank he slightly nicked himself on something. Two weeks later he was being

told they were going to be taking off his hand and part of his forearm if the massive dose of IV antibiotics didn't work.

Too bad my ex-wife doesn't clean it with her mouth.

Yes be very careful with turtles. As far as the smell try using a larger filter with lots of activated carbon in it. But as with any animal (otter or otherwise) :) you will always be cleaning up after them.

A bigger tank will dilute the waste better...some catfish in the tank would help as well. A 10 gallon tank is pretty small - I bet if you posted a "Need a free fish tank" thread in the BST Forum, someone would step up :th: People always seem to be trying to get rid of them :)

TimS