Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oceancruze1

Fishing in Cabo San Lucas

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

New to this forum * mostly into stripers and fishing the NE coast but I am vacationing in Cabo next month and have a charter booked.      Also want to try surfcasting off the beach near my resort.     Anyone tell me about the surfcasting off the beach down there and also the fishing offshore on a charter boat?     Booked with an oufit called Redrum Sportfishing as they had alot of great reviews on the Net but seems like March is not the best month down there waters a little cool.      Also bringing the rod with me seems like an issue with the airlines now with all the restrictions and added fees.     Seems like highplainsdrifter is da man to talk to?

(*Edited - please do not discuss other forums here - thanks. TimS)

Between me and a bunch of others here, there is a lot of information on fishing in Cabo. March will be striped season and maybe mahi. Use the search function. Best of luck.

Cabo

I was down there a couple years ago on my Honeymoon but only got to fish one day on a charter. There's a great striped marlin fishery around the area. We saw tons of fish but unfortunately the day I went out they had lockjaw. I walked the beach every morning on the gulf side and there were always small palagics right on the beach. I bet with light tackle and small metal or jigs you could have a blast. :th:

Redrum has been around for a long time. I've never fished with them. But I hear good things.

Surf fishing is an option for sure. Bringing a surf rod/reel would be best. You could also buy a surf spinning outfit in Cabo. I'm not aware of any rental tackle in town.

For sure check out Jansen's inshore tackle shop downtown Cabo. They have lots of gear and good lures.

Where are you staying? Redrum will do right by you. The closer to downtown the less surf you ahve to contend with. I stayed at the Riu and the surf was pounding and dangerous. DO not wade to fish, the beach is steep. You are on dry sand one minute and waist deep the next. Spnning tackle is what you want. Deadly Dicks, small jigs. Following the coast line away from downtown there are large rocks visable. That is where I was told to go but never did get there. All I had was fly tackle. Guys with spin tackle were catching roosters and makeral from the beach.

I have several travel rods. I flew Continental and carried my rods onboard and my reels in a backpack, no problem. Check with you carrier. There are 2 tackle shops in town, Minerva's has mostly offshore stuff and I can't remember the name of the other. Both are downtown. The one I can't remember is the one for surf fishing.

Redrum has been around for a long time. I've never fished with them. But I hear good things.

Surf fishing is an option for sure. Bringing a surf rod/reel would be best. You could also buy a surf spinning outfit in Cabo. I'm not aware of any rental tackle in town.

For sure check out Jansen's inshore tackle shop downtown Cabo. They have lots of gear and good lures.

Thats the one I couldn't remember Jansens. Thanks Pez!!

Yes I keep hearing about the stong surf and to use anything you can cast a distance, jigs, castmasters, metal spoons, and maybe I will try a couple 2 oz bucktails and wip it out there.     I have been reading about the Cabo Killer from Janzens tackle shop down there.     Ranger whats that also hear about a something -14 jig?

I cut a 7' spinning rod into two sections and I am putting them in a padded gun bag which is long enough to accomodate the 4' section of rod and I am joining them with a section of 1/2" PVC voila instant travel rod!

Yes Roosterfish are really suppose to be something, fight like our bluefish up here but like maybe 10X, some fish with nasty teeth down there and don't like getting caught

Yes I read great reviews on Redrum on Trip Advisor Forums but what I keep reading about is searching for the marlin and this time of the year for the warmer water which I guess both yellowfin tuna and marlin like.     Seen videos on Youtube catching Marlin what a battle you've got on your hands, bring em on!