Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sal Mon

Question about high tides

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

A bit off topic but I would think someone here should know. I like to observe solunar tablesfor hunting and fishing times and I read an article about Tide Clocks that indicate the varying times of the day for high tides - they appear to coincide with each other . But if I got a Tide Clock, I would have trouble calculating it because there is no tide information here in Michigan. Per my Garmin GPS, March 22 has both the sun and the moon directly overhead around 12:27pm - it would make sense to me that that would be the highest tide of the month (if over water) so I assume that would be my point to set the Tide Clock at - yeah or nay? Thanks.

Thanks JonC but this just tells when the moon is closest and furthest from the earth during the month. I was looking for something that charts when the moon is dead overhead everyday. I can use the moonrise and moonset times but on a 25 hour cylce, the math gets overwhelming even with a calculator.

The highest tides occur when the moon is closest, in the case of March, per the table, the tenth, however it also take time for the tides to build in response to the increase in pull from the moon, so, according to my table for tides on Cape Cod the highest tide will be on the twelfth. Hope this helps, I know nothing about the so lunar tables though.

JC

Thanks JonC, I understand the moon has more affect on tides when at perigee but I was under the impression that the "King Tide" was when the sun and the moon were in alignment - a.k.a. the new moon - which created the most gravitational pull on the water levels. I could be wrong though.

Sal,

Look up a solunar table for that date and see what the relationship is between the high solunar point and the mid horizon point of the moon. High tide in general does not occur at that point....even in the open ocean, but, I believe, lags behind a bit...effectively chasing the moon around the planet.

If I understand what you are asking correctly, why not just get a solunar table for your area and set high tide on the tide clock for the high point of the solunar cycle...for any given day. Tide clocks just track on an 11 hour 15 minute cycle (or something like that) in stead of a 12 hour cycle

OR.....If you don't know the best time to go hunting or fishing.....get a smart phone. There's an app for that.

PMP