Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
one liner

NH Fish & Game Enforcement?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I was never asked or checked in me, nh or ma waters. I was asked how many fish I caught at great bay marine one day, my answer was zero.

I was checked several times over a two year period by the Marine Patrol in Maine a few years ago. When the officer got to know me and realized I was not going to be a violator, he gave me his card and asked me to call him on his cell phone if I saw any problems. I did call him once and he arrived about 20 minutes later. Unfortunately the violator had left on foot, so he was never caught.

I've also seen the MP on my beach numerous times over the summer watching fishermen through binoculars. They've also asked to see coolers of fishermen leaving the beach.

I understand everyone's frusatration with enforcement. The problem to me is too few officers to cover a lot of territory, not enough people catching any fish and vague licensing requirements. Just my $.02.

Thanks for the replys. I did get out kayaking a few times last year and didn't see much fishing activity. The few who were catching fish were using bait & tube & worm type rigs Didn't see any law enforcement.

Talked to uniformed Fish and Game guys (not the dudes doing the surveys) twice while putting in/out at Pierce Island and they never once checked us, though they did ask if we kept any fish.  We said, No, and they said, OK; and that was it.  Never asked for our licenses.  I bet that was because it was the first year with a SW license.  This year will be different is my guess.  The ME Fish and Game boat swung by us once floating off Kittery.  The guy asked in a friendly way if we had SW licenses but didn't ask to see them.

Did anyone who bought a NH license last year receive any angler surveys from the state? I remember at one time Doug Grout (from the state) saying that in order to comply with federal requirements he had to make cold calls out of the phone book asking the person who answered if they went striper fishing, and did they catch any fish. They had some statistical way of growing that into a number representing the whole angler base, and Doug inferred it was time consuming & frustrating. It was one of the reasons he advocated a salt water license - obviously to get a better indicator of how productive the fishery is. I never heard from them myself. Also - if you did respond to a survey - did you catch a lot of fish or a few?