Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperburke

Cast-a-bubbles

10 posts in this topic

I've fished cast-a-bubbles in the past with some pretty good success using wooly buggers and nymphs and a 5 to 6 foot long leader in stocked trout ponds. I normally would fill the bubble half way to 3/4 of the way full and they would still float on the surface. In the recent March OTW mag there was an article on fishing them and the author seems to be saying that the bubble should actually sink and if you are working it to fast it will rise to the surface creating a wake. So my question is have I been fishing it wrong all these years? I know I have seen other guys using them with the bubble on the surface too, but maybe they were not using them correctly either? Will I have more hookups if I completely fill the bubble with water and work it back to me subsurface? I realize this would allow me to get the fly deeper in the water column. Thanks for your help

Yeah you're supposed to fill it all the way, the point of it is to not have it on top. When you cast it out let it sink for alittle bit and reel it in just about as slow as you possibly can. Thats what I've been taught and it works well for me but if you've been doing it your way and it works who's to say whats right or wrong

striperblitz, thanks for info. I can't believe I have been doing it wrong all these years. I will definately try filling it all the way this spring. I did catch some fish with the bubble on top but I'm sure I must have been spooking some fish at the same time. Luckily stockies aren't the smartest fish and didn't know any better lol.

Either way would be ok. If you want a fly to lie on the surface behind the bubble, you sure don't want the bubble to sink -- I've fished them that way in Colorado lakes.

They are used from piers on the gulf panhandle for spanish mackeral and what they call bonito (actually false albacore) with a short soda straw over a hook as a darting "fly" in a "bubble and fly rig". In that rig you are reeling as fast as you can reel to attract the predators. I doubt the fishing rulebook would be thrown at you for anything you might want to try.

I like my bubbles to sink slowly. The reason is early in the season the fish can be pretty inactive at times due to the water being so cold. By putting just enough water in the bubble to make it sink slowly you can put your rig close to the bottom and just barely reel it in. This is just the ticket on those days when the trout are inactive. If your bubble sinks to fast you can,t move your rig slow enough without it digging into the bottom. Sometimes super slow retrieve is what you need to get inactive trout to bite. If the trout are more active( rising frequently) or when the water warms up later in the spring you can keep your rig closer to the surface and speed up your retrieve. I don,t let my bubble break the surface but sometimes keep it just below. Hope this helps.

Use whatever works.

If they are biting then you're good, if not, change it up. There is no right or wrong way to fish a casting bubble. Everyone has his/her own technique and favorite flies. On which flies to use, start by matching the hatch and you should hook up. Then try something else to see if that works. There are times I'm killing it and then start to change it up just to see if the fish will follow. Sometimes it doesn't work, other times I'm still catching fish and have another quiver in my (fishing) bag for those slow days.

Smallies anglers like using a bobber with a cappie jig attached on a 4'-5' leader when river fishing. Don't be afraid to experiment and see what the fish are telling you. I've read many fishing books and its seems that the most successful anglers make up their own method of fishing, coming up with a winning combination and then everyone else starts to copy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnelson651 View Post

Use whatever works.

If they are biting then you're good, if not, change it up. There is no right or wrong way to fish a casting bubble. Everyone has his/her own technique and favorite flies. On which flies to use, start by matching the hatch and you should hook up. Then try something else to see if that works. There are times I'm killing it and then start to change it up just to see if the fish will follow. Sometimes it doesn't work, other times I'm still catching fish and have another quiver in my (fishing) bag for those slow days.

Smallies anglers like using a bobber with a cappie jig attached on a 4'-5' leader when river fishing. Don't be afraid to experiment and see what the fish are telling you. I've read many fishing books and its seems that the most successful anglers make up their own method of fishing, coming up with a winning combination and then everyone else starts to copy.

I agree that there are no rules on fishing and the more you experiment the better you will do. I was just adding a method that works well for me and was an alternative to the bubble on top. I have always done so well with trout in my area slowly sinking the bubble that I just haven,t needed to try the bubble on top. I will however try it on top this season as a experiment and I wouldn,t be surprised at all if it works under certain conditions. I have also gone with a smaller bubble lately to try not to spook the trout as much if in fact they are being spooked by the bubble. I also use a very long leader behind my bubble which is 4# Flouro which I think helps especially on calm sunny days. If my advice came off as this is the absolute best way no matter what that is not what I intended. The fact is I believe a lot of experimentation can only make you better at what ever type of fishing one chooses to do and this approach will always pay off in the long run.

I agree that there are no rules on fishing and the more you experiment the better you will do. I was just adding a method that works well for me and was an alternative to the bubble on top. I have always done so well with trout in my area slowly sinking the bubble that I just haven,t needed to try the bubble on top. I will however try it on top this season as a experiment and I wouldn,t be surprised at all if it works under certain conditions. I have also gone with a smaller bubble lately to try not to spook the trout as much if in fact they are being spooked by the bubble. I also use a very long leader behind my bubble which is 4# Flouro which I think helps especially on calm sunny days. If my advice came off as this is the absolute best way no matter what that is not what I intended. The fact is I believe a lot of experimentation can only make you better at what ever type of fishing one chooses to do and this approach will always pay off in the long run.

Actually i was replying to the OP. So you didn't come off as the "best way." I'm sure the OP appreciates the different techniques developed by each angler posting here. But it was though experimentation and thinking out of the box that lead to that advice. I was just trying to make a point that there are more ways to catch fish then reading something in a book or on a forum. I live in Nevada and have found that certain colors and combination of lures work best here. That does not mean that it will work somewhere else given the differences in topography, weather and water conditons.

Don't be afraid to try different techniques or make up your own technique by using your intution and experience to combine different tips & tricks to find something that works for you. The most important element in fishing a lure is confidence in that lure of technique. If you have no confidence in what your using, you will get skunked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnelson651 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailslap View Post

Actually i was replying to the OP. So you didn't come off as the "best way." I'm sure the OP appreciates the different techniques developed by each angler posting here. But it was though experimentation and thinking out of the box that lead to that advice. I was just trying to make a point that there are more ways to catch fish then reading something in a book or on a forum. I live in Nevada and have found that certain colors and combination of lures work best here. That does not mean that it will work somewhere else given the differences in topography, weather and water conditons.

Don't be afraid to try different techniques or make up your own technique by using your intution and experience to combine different tips & tricks to find something that works for you. The most important element in fishing a lure is confidence in that lure of technique. If you have no confidence in what your using, you will get skunked.

icon14.gif