Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crash044

Thinning epoxy

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

For the past couple of years I've been heating my plugs and sealing them with epoxy. I also heat the epoxy before mixing and thin a little with a few drops of denatured alcohol. A friend of mine that builds rods told me to try thinning with acetone. Anyone have any experience with with this? There's nothing wrong for me with the way I'm doing things but I'm always up to try something new that might make things a little better. Thanks.

crash,

What kind of epoxy are you using? If it's e-tex, heating the epoxy and the plug should give you plenty of open time for applying. If it'd D2T, I use denatured alcohol with good results.......less caustic than acetone to keep around.....If it's working stick with it is my motto.

Good luck,

MS

crash,

What kind of epoxy are you using? If it's e-tex, heating the epoxy and the plug should give you plenty of open time for applying. If it'd D2T, I use denatured alcohol with good results.......less caustic than acetone to keep around.....If it's working stick with it is my motto.

Good luck,

MS

I use etex. Heat both part in the microwave for about 5 or 10 seconds before I mix. I add 4 or 5 drops of denatured alcohol while mixing to get it really thin with the heat. It's been working well for me. I'll probably just stick with it. Like I said, I just wanted to see if maybe there was something better. Thanks.

When you guys say that you are using it to seal plugs, What exactly are you speaking about? Sealing after paint? I can't imagine how you could get a thin enough substance to soak an unpainted plug with. Doe you have trouble with the thru-wire channel?

I might like to try this. Thanks!!

When you guys say that you are using it to seal plugs, What exactly are you speaking about? Sealing after paint? I can't imagine how you could get a thin enough substance to soak an unpainted plug with. Doe you have trouble with the thru-wire channel?

I might like to try this. Thanks!!

Yes sealing them before paint instead of spar or blo, thin etex down with denatured alcohol about 30 or 40%. If your doing just a couple plugs use 2 cups and pour it over the plug when its in 1 cup and repeat. When I do batches of 30 or 40 I put the epoxy mix in a big tinfoil tray with high sides and soak the plugs in it. And also heat the plug bodies up first in the oven or microwave it helps with absorbsion.

Sealing with epoxy makes soft wood alot more durable, it will make red cedar seem like maple

Yes sealing them before paint instead of spar or blo, thin etex down with denatured alcohol about 30 or 40%. If your doing just a couple plugs use 2 cups and pour it over the plug when its in 1 cup and repeat. When I do batches of 30 or 40 I put the epoxy mix in a big tinfoil tray with high sides and soak the plugs in it. And also heat the plug bodies up first in the oven or microwave it helps with absorbsion.

Sealing with epoxy makes soft wood alot more durable, it will make red cedar seem like maple

Billy, I heat my plugs in the oven at 200 degrees. Never thought about using the microwave. How long do you have to "zap" them for? I don't want to over-do it.

Billy, I heat my plugs in the oven at 200 degrees. Never thought about using the microwave. How long do you have to "zap" them for? I don't want to over-do it.

Tough to give you an exact time bc microwaves are different and the sizes of the plugs your doing matter but I usually put 6 3oz dannys in for about a minute and 20sec

They get hot fast so be careful. start low and work the time up

Tough to give you an exact time bc microwaves are different and the sizes of the plugs your doing matter but I usually put 6 3oz dannys in for about a minute and 20sec

They get hot fast so be careful. start low and work the time up

I'm going to give it a try. If this works it'll save me a bunch of trips up and down the stairs from the kitchen to the basement. Thanks Billy.

i've always thinned my epoxy with acetone , works for me.heating epoxy up i believe shortens user time..you can also heat the epoxy after you pour it on the plug to get it to flow better and get rid of bubbles.good luck experiment a little.