Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SJRhino

Korkers does NOT stand behind their products

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Warning to all - Korkers does NOT stand behind their products.:mad: I purchased a pair of Streamborn wader boots in Feb 2011 and used the boots for last year's spring and fall Striper run here in New Jersey. After less than a half a year of use and the metal lace eyelets seriously corroded, to the point where the eyelets are sharp and cut through the laces when tightening. The eyelets appeared to be brass when I purchased them – I didn’t think a company that makes products to go under water would use a cheap metal that would quickly rust since that would be… just plain stupid. I rinsed the boots with freshwater after every use. Even the rivets holding the eyelids to the boot are corroded. I really liked the fit and weight of the boots, but this issue has rendered them unusable after only 1 year.

Instead of trashing the company on various fishing websites, I reached out to Korkers this past December to see if the boot had been recall or if the company was offering a fix – especially since they probably knew there is a problem and discontinued the model. I received a response that I should forward pictures of the problem areas and a copy of the receipt and they would then let me know if there was anything they could do. I explained that I keep all of my fishing gear receipts in the same place and have one receipt which the ink on it has disappeared - I purchased the boots at Sportsmen Center and had the same problem with another receipt. Also, I could not provide a credit card statement because the boots were purchased with gift cards from Christmas. I attached pictures of the rusted lace eyelets, which also showed the boots are otherwise in perfect condition.

Every time I sent the email with the requested picture to the email address they provide to me, my email was returned by the company’s email server as undeliverable. I’ve now spent the better part of 3 months trying to get an answer out of the company as to whether or not they will replace the boots with a pair that is designed to last.

I went out of my way not to tarnish the company and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but as a guy who bought LL Bean waders because of the warranty, I appreciate a company that stands behind their products and tries to make things right when there is a problem. I feel 3 months is more than enough time for me to have received an answer from corkers as to whether or not they will replace the boots. It’s now time to go buy a new pair from LL Bean. With Korkers… its buyer beware!

I learned lat year. Do not buy any korkers that are not the cleat type that go on any wading boot. I like the 1100 the best. Their customer service does suck with regard to their boots/shoes/sandals.

Just to be clear, I think you're saying you haven't been able to successfully email the pics yet and thus they haven't told you anything yet, is that right?

If so why not regular mail them the pics with a letter, not sure why your emails to them aren't working.

whats a good alternative to korkers though?

Actually there are plenty of wader boots out there, but they don't have the changeable soles that attracted me to the Korker boots. I didn't even get into the issues with the soles such as sand gets between the sole and the boot, they pop off while walking, etc. My main reason for purchasing them was the studded sole made it easy to walk the surf and fish finger jetties. But while those studded soles may be ok for walking along an icy sidewalk they are not nearly good enough for jetties - the cleats are fewer and not located near the edges. I took a spill wearing them because the rubber edge was the first thing to touch a rock (foot and rock angled).

Just to be clear, I think you're saying you haven't been able to successfully email the pics yet and thus they haven't told you anything yet, is that right?

If so why not regular mail them the pics with a letter, not sure why your emails to them aren't working.

No - the pics were finally successfully sent after numerous calls to their customer service # and I have heard nothing: no reply one way or the other. As a matter of fact, the customer service rep hasn't even returned my calls.

I feel your pain, i have the same boots, same thing happened to me, first time my laces broke i was out on a rock in the pitch black with some descent rollers coming in here & there, i thought i was gonna lose an entire boot that night trying to get back to shore :( happened a few more times after that........

Started running [2] laces thru each boot as security, that worked but wasn't the solution. Eventually after [2] seasons of fighting with these things i drilled out the rivets, removed the old eyelets & made all new stainless ones. I threaded the eyelets & installed flat head screws from the inside of the boot into the eyelet using a dab of loctite for good measures, Problem solved.

I don't have a pic of the boot with the SS eyelets with me but i do have a pic here of the old eyelets & a couple of my aluminum set-up pcs, i'll snap one later today.

It sucks when you buy a product and it doesn't perform. It sucks worse when the company doesn't stand behind product. Interesting that your receipt self destructed. I put all my receipts in a plastic box, it is amazing how much or all of the print dissapears after realitively short time. Good luck

Just to clarify,was the receipt you sent them legible?

I have had quality issues with Korker but have been treated fairly with the customer service to date. The fact that they switched designs and stopped producing soles for the older boots is what will keep me from buying wading boots from them again. Just a suggestion if you are able to make any of the fishing shows that they attend perhaps the reps in the booth may be able to help you. Good luck JC.

Did you consider that the pictures in your email are too big and hence why it was not delivered? Did you pick up the phone and call them up explaining your issues mailing the pictures?

.Penn discontinued the 525MAG..Do you really think it was a bad reel?

Actually there are plenty of wader boots out there, but they don't have the changeable soles that attracted me to the Korker boots. I didn't even get into the issues with the soles such as sand gets between the sole and the boot, they pop off while walking, etc. My main reason for purchasing them was the studded sole made it easy to walk the surf and fish finger jetties. But while those studded soles may be ok for walking along an icy sidewalk they are not nearly good enough for jetties - the cleats are fewer and not located near the edges. I took a spill wearing them because the rubber edge was the first thing to touch a rock (foot and rock angled).

No - the pics were finally successfully sent after numerous calls to their customer service # and I have heard nothing: no reply one way or the other. As a matter of fact, the customer service rep hasn't even returned my calls.

Did you consider that the pictures in your email are too big and hence why it was not delivered? Did you pick up the phone and call them up explaining your issues mailing the pictures?

.Penn discontinued the 525MAG..Do you really think it was a bad reel?

:wave:

Unfortunately if you're looking for someone to stand behind their products like LL Bean does then you're just not going to have much luck.

I've dropped more pairs of leaky waders on the counters of Bean than I can remember. And every time I walked out with either a new pair or the money I'd paid for the leaky ones in a gift card.

:wave:

Not sure why this information was missing from the opening post..I only read the first post and never see any mention of the pics successfully sent or phone calls being made....It was actually sound they were never successfully sent....but thanks. I don't buy boots from korkers anyway..and I am not crazy about LLBean products either. Only good if you live next to them and don't need to spend your money on gas or UPS...each time you replace them...