Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Silver Stoat

Fitting a rudder to an older Tarpon?

11 posts in this topic

Hoping someone might chime in with their experience. I have a Perception Pescador 12 - the older model WS Tarpon 120.

1. Would adding a rudder system be worthwhile? The boat tracks fine, but I'm wondering whether adding a rudder would improve it yet further and possibly help me control drift when fishing current.

2. If yes, are these easy to fit oneself? Interested to hear if anyone has done this. Any tips on fitting?

3. Any ideas on where I might pick up a rudder system for this boat?

Thanks for any advice,

Jonny

5865485522_a050d61a43_z.jpg

P6120442

That Tarpon 120 was my first kayak. Perception Pescador is the same. The rudder will help with the wind cocking and take away the constant paddle corrections. When fishing the rocks or any obstructions, it's always nice to have that rudder during a fish tow. I believe the kit you need is the "Pre 2009 Wilderness Systems Tarpon Rudder Kit #8025413" Made by Harmony. Austin Kayak may have that in stock or perhaps Amazon or even Flea Bay. Just make sure you get the bracket.

Google:

Introduction to Rudder Installation Instructions Kit #8025413

Another option is Feathercraft. The old "KFS (kayak fishing stuff) had a complete kit with the bracket but they are now defunct. Try to search around for 2009 and prior rudder bracket for Feathercraft.

All kits are around 200 bucks. The install is pretty easy takes a few hours with basic tools. The trickiest part is passing heavy mono or electricians snake through the inside of the kayak for the rudder controls. You can stand the kayak up and fish the line back to the front hatch too connect the heavy mono or snake or just go through a rear flush mount rod holder.

Here is a picture of the two styles of brackets that will fit the "Pre 2009 Kit". I'm not sure if these brackets fit Feathercraft rudder pin. Someone may chime in about that to confirm. The top bracket in the photo (7100-0302E) was the old metal bracket on the older Tarpon 120's. The other bracket (14820023) is a newer style that I am not familiar with. It looks to be the same but I don't know.

[img=

Looks like the Perception Pescador is ready to go for the bracket. Two screws right there for the bracket:

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3170438/width/600/height/366]

You can probably get away with a non specific rudder also if you find one on the cheap.

May need a small modification or two..

If that's the case, I can give you some ideas when the time comes.

Many thanks guys - You answered my questions wonderfully. I must confess though, while I'm sold on the idea of having a rudder, I'm more nervous about fitting it myself. My hesitation is that the directions refer to measurements like "make holes right next to the Tarpon 120 sign". It might not be such a perfect science to replicate these directions for the pescador!

I will study in more detail though. Perhaps I might find someone locally who has experience fitting rudders.

Many thanks again for your responses.

Jonny

Don't let the drilling be a concern.

If you do it, the plastic tubing/ sheathing that the cable runs through is what you'll feed through the holes.

Then the cable obviously gets fed through that.

Drill the holes a touch smaller than the outside diameter of the tubing to ensure a tight fit which will keep water out and keep the tubing from sliding to and fro.

Drill the holes on an angle to keep the cable moving in as straight a line as possible.

After you install the tubing, leave some extra protruding and hold a lighter over the ends so they curl a little creating a small neck/rim.

This will prevent the tubing from slipping back into the hull along with that tight fit.

Dave, that explanation without the use of pictures was about as good as I've seen.

Silver, if you do a Google search on "Installing a rudder on SOT" (or variations) you'll find a ton of information. I have a bunch of saved links, but I can't post them here since a lot of them are from other forums. If you figure out the basics, you may be able to get a hand from someone who has either done it before or is comfortable rigging kayaks.

It's only the first few holes that are painful! :D

BTW - You can get a Crack of Dawn rudder kit from Masthead Sailing Gear for about $130. That's about as cheap as I've ever seen a rudder kit. I can't speak for the quality of the system, but it has been around for a while.

Good luck.

I have an 08 WS Tarpon 120 and am glad I added the rudder (especially for drift fishing on the river).

I ordered it directly from Wildernes Sys.

I am quite the idiot and was able to install it easily.

Good luck!

I have a Perception Caster 12.5 and am wondering the exact same thing. I might find a kayak dealer that does those installations. I will keep an eye on this thread.

I put a rudder on my Perception Caster and love it. It wasn't that bad just follow the instructions to the letter. I took a "short cut" that ended up causeing me more work then needed. You can see it in this pic.

FortFisherTourney11-12-11031.jpg