Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antagonizer

Vega Duplicator - From Master Turning Question

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, Picked up a Vega 8500 and after searching the forums and finding some GREAT info (makes SOL awesome) on setting it up and preparing everything I got to use it for the 1st time last night. I used the plug I turned, after testing etc and am very pleased with it but the copies are coming up 1/8 smaller in diameter than the original. My 1st plug from the Vega was much smaller in diameter so I played with the way the master sat on the vega which helped but the next 2 were still under in diameter. On the next couple I turned the stylus around and they came out closer but like I said they are about an 1/8 under.

Anyone have any suggestions to remedy this? I was thinking I could add to the stylus to make it wider and see the outcome. Not sure if the Vega is too close to the center line and I need to back off the entire tray or what.

Thanks

It is the set up you are on, not the vega. Try moving the stylus in, closer to the cutter by an 1/8. Once you get it cutting the dimensions you want, keep a master to reset the dupe to the profile.

Hey guys, My 1st plug from the Vega was much smaller in diameter so I played with the way the master sat on the vega which helped but the next 2 were still under in diameter. On the next couple I turned the stylus around and they came out closer but like I said they are about an 1/8 under.

Anyone have any suggestions to remedy this? I was thinking I could add to the stylus to make it wider and see the outcome. Not sure if the Vega is too close to the center line and I need to back off the entire tray or what.

Thanks

Go back and set up the dupe properly!

1. With cutter all the way forward/slightly below center adjust it so it is about 1/4" from center and level at both ends of travel.

2. Tighten down the mounting bolts and check again!! adjust if necessary.

3. Chuck up some scrap wood and turn it to a round, now take another pass the full length with the cutter depth locked, measure both ends and make sure they are the same. Adjust dupe mount if needed.

4. Now take the piece you just cut and use it as you master, chuck up another piece of wood and cut a short section and measure, adjust the stylus (pic. below) in or out till the diameter's match then add a little to compensate for sanding.623

Once the dupe is set up all your depth corrections are made by moving the stylus in or out, not the cutter or dupe mount !!

Thanks for the replies and input guys. I went through the entire set up again tonight and did notice a couple things off. I'll find out in the morning, I have everything prepared and ready to test again. I'll post tomorrow on the results.

Thanks for the replies and input guys. I went through the entire set up again tonight and did notice a couple things off. I'll find out in the morning, I have everything prepared and ready to test again. I'll post tomorrow on the results.

Once you get it set up it's a joy to use!! Check your adjustments from time to time, sometimes things move when taking the dupe on and off the lathe. Just checked mine yesterday and found it was 1/16 " off at one end. Carbide cutter is also a good investment (cuts super and less sanding if you just take off small amounts on your final passes). Also get 2 -3/4" machine collars for the mounting posts, saves time setting your height adjustment.;) Mounting it on the back of lathe is also an option and allows you to put your tool rest on front and turn. Check out YouTube for some video's on it also.

Got to put the duplicator to work today. After a few more adjustments and taking my time on the first couple (cut, measure, cut and measure again) the plugs I did today came out great (16 total). Learned a bunch on the set up from the tips above (thank you!!)

If I was to put the vega on the other side of my lathe, how do you guys with this set up run your dust system? I'd have to redo mine since the scope is right behind my lathe,.

If I was to put the vega on the other side of my lathe, how do you guys with this set up run your dust system? I'd have to redo mine since the scope is right behind my lathe,.

With the dupe on the back your cutter is upside down and above center, chips shoot down so put your dust collector below the cutter, less flying up so it is a lot cleaner.

With the dupe mounted on the back side and the cutter mounted upside down, you can still turn freehand off the tool rest on the front.

I have one lathe set up this way so I can play with prototypes. Well...at least I used to when I used to make plugs. :D

You need to pull the duplicator out so it's working in the same diameter range as the master being used. Get a round dowel say 1 inch in diameter. Cut it and put center holes in the ends. Use it as a master. Now loosen the bolts on your tie down straps. Slide the duplicator out until you are turning that 1 inch diameter and check it from end to end to be sure it is cutting parallel to the master.

I'm having problems with my duplicated plug. It is way too skinny than the master piece. Any suggestion on how to fix this problem?

Thank you,

You want the thin portion of that pin following your template, your picture shows the thick portion of the pin following it currently.

Cliff notes: slide the guide pin up so the correct portion of it is following your template

extra credit: get yourself a pin with a rolling sleeve so it doesnt wear down your templates :shock:

I hope this makes sense.

On the front and back ends of all my templates, I made a cut to represent the center line of the plug on that end. After the template was mounted, place the tip of the cutter up against the live or drive center as if you are cutting on the center line of the stock, adjust the template so the pin is up against the cut out on the template that represents the center line of the plug. Do this for both ends of the plug and centers. Tighten up template in the dup and you are good to go.