Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Calstar rods

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

If anyone out there is interested in Calstar rods;

I recently bought a Calstar, factory-made rod from TRIET, right here on SOL. I thought that it is very well made, and some professional rod builders I know thought so too.

The factory made rod retails for about 60% of what a custom rod would cost to have made up on the same blank so I decided to buy me some new ones to update my partyboat fishing tackle.

It took about a week of searching on the net and a bunch of phone calls, but I found a store right here on Long Island that can get them for me fairly quickly.

If there are any other Long Islanders out there who are interested, please say so and I'll let you know who the dealer is. I don't want to summarily plaster this store's name unless someone has an urge to buy one of the rods.

By the way, I bought the GFDH800L and it is one awesome partyboat bottom fishing stick.

Spigola

BaitBoy,

The factory rods, GFDH series, are abut $200. Although this is not a "CHEAP" rod it is a very reasonable "GOOD" rod. If you were to build it yourself, the blank is about $100 and then figure 9 or ten guides, winding, reel seat or cork tape, time and you are way over the $200 price tag.

And, if you bought the blank and have a custom rod maker put it together, ouch, you are looking at about a $300 bill. Not to say the custom makers don't do a great job, they do but they are costly.

BTW, I see you are from the Philly area. Check the CALSTAR site if you are interested. The website has a list of distributors in NJ which are close to your area.

I don't work for any tackle manufacturer, but every now and again I find something that impresses me. With 45 years of fishing experience, I now like to share my findings with fellow fishermen and women. To me it's part of the game. I think CALSTAR is one hell of a rod for the buck. Great action and tremendous strength for such a light rod.

Good luck and let me know how you fare.

Spigola

I can't say enough good things about their rods. While the ones I own are custom made (like Billy40 says, I am a "tackle ho"), I have checked out the factory rods and they are far beyond adequate.

Baitboy, I know you were asking about a good fluke rod in the conger forum and you should really check out the GX-7.