Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CDubbs

abu bearings

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

this is probably an easy one for most, i have two newer abu 7000s made in china (sticker on foot ). i'd like to take out the spool bushings and replace with bearings.what size bearings do i need ? thanks

Hio....the Chinese 7 'i' reels use the 3 x 10 x 4 bushings and bearings, The 4 x 10 x 4 size is used in the smaller Swedish ultracast style product. (5500C3, 6600C4, etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken D View Post

Hio....the Chinese 7 'i' reels use the 3 x 10 x 4 bushings and bearings, The 4 x 10 x 4 size is used in the smaller Swedish ultracast style product. (5500C3, 6600C4, etc.)

I was just over to WalMart today to buy food (its a "SuperWalMart") and stopped by the fishing section and looked at a modern Abu Garcia Ambassadeur -- Made in China of course -- as well as several other reels -- Made in China, of course -- and what struck me was how whimpy all of them are. The best bate casting reel had a whopping 7 ball bearings. Some of the spinning reels boasted only !!! By  comparison my  Mitchells 302s and 402s have 10 !!! They sure don't build reels like they use to.

I was just over to WalMart today to buy food (its a "SuperWalMart") and stopped by the fishing section and looked at a modern Abu Garcia Ambassadeur -- Made in China of course -- as well as several other reels -- Made in China, of course -- and what struck me was how whimpy all of them are. The best bate casting reel had a whopping 7 ball bearings. Some of the spinning reels boasted only !!! By  comparison my  Mitchells 302s and 402s have 10 !!! They sure don't build reels like they use to.

I agree they don't make them like they use too. But, more ball bearings ISN'T always better. Just look at the Penn "Crap-tiva" with it's 11 ball bearings?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post

I agree they don't make them like they use too. But, more ball bearings ISN'T always better. Just look at the Penn "Crap-tiva" with it's 11 ball bearings?

True. That said there is this race to the bottom mentaility: How to make stuff using  the cheapest materials as you can, using the cheapest components you can find, exporting jobs to some country that uses almost slave labor such as China,  while charging the potential customer the most you can, while advertising  what a "deal" they are getting. Most of the reels made today are total trash.  And the ones that are  well made, such as the Van  Staal reels, you  end up  paying through the nose for,  and  a lot of  that price is more for styling vs functionality.  That said  one way you can tell something about  the potential  quality  of the reel is to  look  at the number of  ball bearings used, I  mean 4 ball bearings in a spinning reel?!? 7 ball bearings  in a bait casting reel?!?

Maybe paying  $40 - $70  for a spinning  reel which  will last for 3-5 seasons at the most  may sound  like a deal, after that throw  it away and buy a new one; that said there is this sense that we are moving into this soulless  society where NOTHING  is made with a sense of pride,  something that is  built to LAST.  We have become a society with a throwaway mindset, that extends all the way down the food chain to the workers themselves; we have put corporate profits  ahead of those who build the  products. If the corporate bottom line takes a hit, they  start laying off the  workers. We are more concerned about mergers and  acquisitions, which after they  happen, then end up with the merged companies laying off excess workers who are "no longer needed".  We no  longer value people; we only value $$$$. Yet we REWARD the CEOs and CFOs et al of FAILING  companies with  BONUSES, even though the  company  is losing money, and is laying  off workers left  and right.... 

Oh well ignore me, I  just  very OLD SCHOOL. Give me a Mitchell 302 or 402 any  day of the week. It might  not have some of the newer innovations, but I suspect my 40 y.o. reel will still be pulling in fish 40 years into the future having been  passed into the capable hands of the next generation and long after I am gone.  Today's reels?? With a few notable exceptions,  most  of them will probable be sitting at the bottom of some landfill. 

Ya, J..... It happens all the time, with plenty of folks, other than !! :D Check out the youtube for the fedex ad called 'stolen ideas' :) This used to happen all the time at my old work, where Mr. Suit would chime in. Worst part was: ~he~ was the one got credit for the ideas most times !!!! Us blue collars always seemed to be classed as dim bulbs...oh well. ;)

Isn't that the truth. 

Usually when I see you or one of the other Abu guys post the correct answer I don't chime in. Just because I don't want to step on the toes of nice guys!