Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
triumph19

Gama Circles

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've been live lining bass using Hickory shad and found that about 35% are gut hooked using Gama 6/0-8/0 circles. I know that these are not true circles, but am disappointed at this statistic. Due to the size of the bait I need to let them run a bit for good % hookups. Any suggestions?

It's the offset.

On the Jersey side at the Delaware river you can now only fish bait with circle hooks and they can't be offset for the same reasons you mentioned - too many gut hooks.

I have stoppped liveling for quite some time now because of the high mortality rate. If you must live line to catch fish, use a Gami Octopus #7 and set the hook right away. This usually ends up with a hook in the mouth.

When I fish with herring i use gami octopus hooks. (7/0) I tried the circle hooks and had no luck with them. When I feel the run I give it a second or two and hit it hard. The majority of fish are hooked in the jaw. I think the main problem is when a person goes "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three....too long of a count usually accounts for most gut hooks. A one or 2 count is sufficient. If you get it, you get it if you don't, try again. Too many people get frustrated missing fish and let them run forever.

Yeah found out earlier in the year that this was the case. What was done to remedy the situation wasa to replace the gami hook with a larger vmc treble hook. Found that as the bass took the shad there was a better chance of getting hung up on the lip. icon14.gif

Those offsets are bad news when it comes to gut hooking. Mustad 39965D (or 39960 ST) 13/0 or very similar VMC with no offset work very well. Lots of good hookups with chunks and letting the fish run. They have a very narrow gap and you might go even larger for the shad. Fish of course have no problem with hooks that big. They're swallowing that shad whole, right.

Probably in the Cabelas and Bass Pro/Offshore Angler catalogs.

Steve

Triumph19,

Have you tried heating the offset over a flame and bending it with a couple pair of pliers so it is no longer offset? I've done it with circles and they seemed to work O.K. Haven't caught any really large fish on them yet to see if it weakened the hooks to any noticeable degree.

I fished with a guy who fishes porgies for bait a lot. He puts a 3/0 treble just ahead of the dorsal. He hits them when the start to move with the bait. Seems to catch the lip.