Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

Who's Making Sausage?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I bought the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer and I use it a lot. Grinding a pork or beef roast I find on sale is pretty quick, gives you greater options for cooking and you don't need to make a whole afternoon of it. I have not used casings and stuffed them, just free form stuff like breakfast sausage.

I bought the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer and I use it a lot. Grinding a pork or beef roast I find on sale is pretty quick, gives you greater options for cooking and you don't need to make a whole afternoon of it. I have not used casings and stuffed them, just free form stuff like breakfast sausage.

That's what I bought.

That's what I have as well and we use it a lot. The casing stuffer you can get for it is not great but works well enough for small batches. Cold equipment and cold meat helps a lot. Don't be stingy on the fat.

Don't be stingy on the fat.

What he said ^.....20-25%.......it is best if you trim your meats and weigh the fat trimmings, and then if need be (most times), supplement it with pork fat (sans salt, i.e. NOT Salt Pork) if you can get it, or with beef suet.

25% may seem like a lot, but you will be sorry if you don't.........

The fun part is getting the casing onto the stuffer.

I would take 6-7' lengths of casing, use a bowl w/ salt water to wet it and get that on 1st.

Spice up the chunks like crazy before grinding it, overdo it since a lot will cook out.

If you're in RI, "Sandy Lane meat market" (Warwick Ave and Sandy Lane in Warwick.)sells the casing. 1/4=1/2 lb will almost do a whole pig lol

You can freeze the unused casing in a heavy brine (just enough to keep it wet) and it will last a long time.