Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hamlet

Free and Unbiased Press Update du jour

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/feb/21/sale-of-philadelphia-newspapers-raises-bias-concer/

If the press is so balanced and unbiased, why would the Dems want to buy newspapers in swing states?

Things that make you go "hmmmm ,,,"

We all know those papers are peopled with defenders of liberty and freedom, unshakable in their commitment to facts and full disclosure, UN-corruptible in pursuit of truth.

So good luck Dems.

"Fast Eddie" is a good guy. One of the few Dems I can stomach. Maybe he can partner with a strong Republican to buy the paper. Having two overt dems as owners would be bad. Annenberg was a Rep. kind of the way Mayor Bloomberg of NYC used to be a Rep. In other words, he wasn't really.

Tierney is a conservative but he was the head of a "group" which bought the papers. He may have added a couple of editorial writers on the conservative side but both papers stayed ferociously liberal in their reporting and their editorial stands.

But the major metro dailies are dying all around the country. Circulation is half of what it was 10 years ago and as older folks like me die off, circulation will all but disappear.

I feel sorry for all of the people currently employed by the newspapers, and hope that they manage to find gainful employment quickly when this scheme fails miserably.

The previous owners of Newsweek sold it for what, a dollar? The New York Times has been losing money for years. Paper media is a dying media. Its time is past, or getting there fast.

I haven't been following this story real close, but isn't Ed Snider part of the group with Rendell??

Snider is pretty conservatve....probably enough to make you seem like you lean left Knight!! :D

Don't know what Rendell's motivation is, but if Snider is involved, it is because he thinks he can make money. Snider is a brilliant business man. Based on his track record, if there is anyone that could make it a profitable venture, he is the one.

That is a good question. Why buy a dying business?

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated "

Newspapers are not dead yet, they still have influence over their readership.

While owners declaim bias, it is human nature for editorial staff to bend - even a little - to the influence of the hand that feeds.

I haven't been following this story real close, but isn't Ed Snider part of the group with Rendell??

Snider is pretty conservatve....probably enough to make you seem like you lean left Knight!! :D

Don't know what Rendell's motivation is, but if Snider is involved, it is because he thinks he can make money. Snider is a brilliant business man. Based on his track record, if there is anyone that could make it a profitable venture, he is the one.

Yep, Eddie Snyder is an objectivist, a follower of the philosophies of ayn rand. If he is involved in the purchase then I will rest a little easier. I don't know a lot about the story because I am not in the Delaware Valley right now, so I am reacting second hand.

The Snyder's own the Philadelphia Flyers and while the USSR was still in existance, the Flyers would not draft, hire or trade for any russian players because money would go to the commies.

Yep, Eddie Snyder is an objectivist, a follower of the philosophies of ayn rand. If he is involved in the purchase then I will rest a little easier. I don't know a lot about the story because I am not in the Delaware Valley right now, so I am reacting second hand.

The Snyder's own the Philadelphia Flyers and while the USSR was still in existance, the Flyers would not draft, hire or trade for any russian players because money would go to the commies.

Never knew that was the reason they didn't like russians. Always thought it was because the organization thought that they were soft as players.

I don't know alot about the story either. It was being talked about a little bit on sports radio a few days ago (or last week, maybe) and it was mentioned that Snider and Rendell were looking into this together.

Then it is a good thing.

About the Flyers, look at when they got their first russian or east bloc player, it was after the fall of the wall. I remember some sports articles in the 80s criticizing them because their political philosophy was making the Flyers less competititve.

Too bad they didn't have the same hard nosed attitude when they got Bryzgalov, right? :D