Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flymann

NEW SHRIMP

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I wanted to create a shrimp that has that natural almost translucent look. So I tied a popovics ultra hair shrimp and it came out horrible. Bob your videos make it look so easy! Then I tried to stack mono and use epoxy like Fred H but it just wasnt like his. Not to mention it took me a half hour. Then I was looking through my desk and I picked up some mylar braid tube. Clamped a size 1 in the vice and wrapped some hackle for legs. Then I put a rattle in the tube and closed off one end. Tied in the legs and some pearl flash and the shrimp started to take form. Over all it came out pretty cool but it needed weight. After adding the weight and tweaking a few things I came up with these. I havent swam them but they look cool so I thought id share them. The body needed more of a profile so I tied one with the mylar folded back into the tail section and it much fuller. I need to take a few pictures and I post it up. I dont use rattles in my flies much but I figured as the shrimp swims the pulse of the tail must make a sound. If the pattern is productive ill be sure to post a follow up. Hope this inspires...

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3165064/width/600/height/450]

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3165073/width/600/height/450]

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3165075/width/600/height/450]

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3165078/width/600/height/450]

Just an iPhone picture but hope you can see it well enough. The Ultra Shrimp is VERY easy to tie. No real tying challenges in that pattern. Just like any new pattern, it takes a few to get it right.

Keep on trying to improve your pattern. The design is never finished!

BobPop

Silver Stoat,

If used when the current is swinging,they are right on top. Lighter hooks can be used too if you have any reservations.

SFFFS,

Happens to be Tuffleye FLEX. Still an Ultra Shrimp. You can still use epoxy. I love it when people use acrylics on the thread heads of deceivers and call them a ***deceiver!

BobPop

I love the look of those shrimp. I have been tying a modified version of the ultra shrimp for permit fishing in Belize. It has proven to be effective for permit and jacks. I am looking forward to testing it on small tarpon at night when they come into the lights to feed on shrimp. My version was modeled on the original Bob Pop shrimp. My shrimp is tied on a Gama SS15 hook, adds a layer of Rainy's float foam, uses Farrar flash blend for the carapace, EP shrimp dub brush w/ legs for the fuzzy part, homemade eyes using glass beads, and tuffleye flex of CCG for the back instead of epoxy. Even though it is different materials it is the same concept as the original. I'll post a pic in the next few days..

After adding the weight and tweaking a few things I came up with these. I havent swam them but they look cool so I thought id share them.

Love to see when someone thinks outside the box.

Not sure how this pattern would react in relationship to the distribution of weight especially with the rattle?

Very interested how this unique design would retreive and track thru the water.

Let us know if you get the chance.

Silver Stoat,

If used when the current is swinging,they are right on top. Lighter hooks can be used too if you have any reservations.

Good point. In my limited experiments I've found fish might respond quite differently depending on how turbulent/fast the current is. I've fished epoxy-type shrimp in fast/white water and of course they sit right up and are effective. But for more sluggish, glassier flows with bass holding on station like trout, I've found more takes from an almost "dry" shrimp (when I say I found, I mean I was shown by Ed Simpson, who gave me a deer hair shrimp to try, and it worked where little else would). Deer hair or foam has worked better for me in this scenario, but I like to fish a sort of dry-dropper shrimp cocktail with an epoxy fly on point.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cheers -- Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobPop View Post

Silver Stoat,

SFFFS,

Happens to be Tuffleye FLEX. Still an Ultra Shrimp. You can still use epoxy. I love it when people use acrylics on the thread heads of deceivers and call them a ***deceiver!

BobPop

So true on the decievers!

The ultra shrimp always has a place in my box!!

Love these. I also like something that floats a little higher in the water for when the bass are popping shrimp nearer the surface. It's almost time!

A Crease shrimp floats well and I've done great with them out in Peconic Bay, there are these little creeks that empty in the bay.......floating crabs too.

Awsome fly as always Bruce, wtas going on man, its been awhile huh lol. That thing looks tasty. We def need to hook up again soon and chase some bass, im preping for the up coming season and am getting more and more exciting every day to get back out on the water.

The ultra shrimp is such an amazing fly and i always have trouble tying it for some reason, i dont take to many tries at it as I usualy use natural materials for my flies now, but im def going to try and master the tech in forming the epoxy, or even better time i try that Tuffleye Flex as I've heard sucj good things about it. And to Bob, your flies have inspired my tying since i got in the game when i was 12, now im 21 and still am amazed every time i look at your work. Pop Fleyes is still up there as one of my favorite books and your hollow fly is my favorite fly to tie, thanks for all your work!