Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Ackwards

Wine Club Info Needed

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about joining one of those wine clubs that send you a different bottle or 2 a month. Anybody ever do this? Are they worth doing or rip offs? I'm a Busch beer type of guy, know little about wine. I usually just buy a bottle of Merlot when I want something other than beer, would like to try different wines. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

I avoid them like the plague. Find a local place with good pricing, talk to a salesman, let him know what you think you like and your price range. Over time you give him feedback and he'll dial in the wines you're likely to enjoy.

I'm thinking about joining one of those wine clubs that send you a different bottle or 2 a month. Anybody ever do this? Are they worth doing or rip offs? I'm a Busch beer type of guy, know little about wine. I usually just buy a bottle of Merlot when I want something other than beer, would like to try different wines. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

Send me $50 a month, I'll send you a couple of bottles of wine. I also have a $100 a month program, but it's different wine. PM me :D

My second choice for you would be what Mike said :th:

Something about the name "Mike" scares me and makes me not want to believe. :D

Now that I'm older with physical problems, I'm looking for an easier way to get some wine into the house, that's why I'm thinking about the wine clubs. Somebody in the land of SOL must have done this.

Something about the name "Mike" scares me and makes me not want to believe. :D

Now that I'm older with physical problems, I'm looking for an easier way to get some wine into the house, that's why I'm thinking about the wine clubs. Somebody in the land of SOL must have done this.

Listen to Mike. Everybody has different taste. Find a good merchant. He will listen to you and start suggesting wines according to your taste. It's a learning process for the both of you. Your palette will mature as time goes on as well.

Listen to Mike. Everybody has different taste. Find a good merchant. He will listen to you and start suggesting wines according to your taste. It's a learning process for the both of you. Your palette will mature as time goes on as well.

Now that I'm older with physical problems, I'm looking for an easier way to get some wine into the house

What state are you in? If you are in NJ, I don't believe you can get wine shipped from out of state unless the merchant has a place of business in NJ.

I do order wine online, a lot. If you are doing it on your own you're going to have to learn how your tastes match up to the descriptions in the reviews. I follow reviews from certain critics because I learned how my tastes match up to their reviews. Jay Miller's tastes are similar to mine but he overrates wine, on the 100 point scale, by 3-5 points. Gallioni is someone I trust on Italian wine, although I think he's being moved to another region now. A good source of reviews from average wine drinkers is Cellartracker. Anytime I see a wine online I always read the reviews on Cellartracker before I buy.

So search Google for online merchants and clearance sites. Clearance sites can get you good bargains. Sign up for their email lists and understand that if they're offering a good deal in their email, they usually sell out in hours. I could suggest some sites but since they are commercial, it's against the rules, so try Google :th:

I do order wine online, a lot. If you are doing it on your own you're going to have to learn how your tastes match up to the descriptions in the reviews. I follow reviews from certain critics because I learned how my tastes match up to their reviews. Jay Miller's tastes are similar to mine but he overrates wine, on the 100 point scale, by 3-5 points. Gallioni is someone I trust on Italian wine, although I think he's being moved to another region now. A good source of reviews from average wine drinkers is Cellartracker. Anytime I see a wine online I always read the reviews on Cellartracker before I buy.

So search Google for online merchants and clearance sites. Clearance sites can get you good bargains. Sign up for their email lists and understand that if they're offering a good deal in their email, they usually sell out in hours. I could suggest some sites but since they are commercial, it's against the rules, so try Google :th:

"I avoid them like the plague" :D Besides the Boones farm wine I drank some 40 odd years ago, wines are fairly new to me. I just want to try different types each month or so. Some of these wine clubs will take them back if I don't like them. I've seen commercial names given many times, Cabelas coupons are always given and taken in the BST. Hint, hint, hint. :)

Very Simesque.

We get some leeway in this forum for those sorts of things. I ask folks not to abuse it, or Tim will shut it off, but in general, rarely are links or mention of specific companies removed provided they are put up with the right intent. Just don't go overboard.

We get some leeway in this forum for those sorts of things. I ask folks not to abuse it, or Tim will shut it off, but in general, rarely are links or mention of specific companies removed provided they are put up with the right intent. Just don't go overboard.

:th:

"I avoid them like the plague" :D Besides the Boones farm wine I drank some 40 odd years ago, wines are fairly new to me. I just want to try different types each month or so. Some of these wine clubs will take them back if I don't like them. I've seen commercial names given many times, Cabelas coupons are always given and taken in the BST. Hint, hint, hint. :)

I avoid wine clubs. I love online vendors. Clubs send you their selections. I choose what I want from vendors :th:

The difference is I have 30+ years of experience with wine and perhaps you have a bit less. In your case I would stick to the big reputable names that provide wines for midstream tastes. Wall Street Journal and New York Times have reputable clubs.