Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mauro Brazil

10wt 10` rods?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Mauro,

Does it have to be 10 feet long? in a 9

foot I have two very serious recommendations for you to consider. Sage Xi3 and CTS Affinity X.

I fish the CTS AFFINITY MX which is slightly less fast but it is the sweetest handling rod I have ever owned. The Sage is very sweet to. If you must have 10 feet then Herb on here can I believe sort you out with a custom blank in a 10 x10 in a CTS AFFINITY X.

May I ask why you need 10 feet?

Mike

I wasn't aware of anyone making a 10' 10wt, if I did I'd have one. The reason I've never been able to give up my 25 year old 1096 RP is because I've never seen another 10wt over 9'.

I wasn't aware of anyone making a 10' 10wt, if I did I'd have one. The reason I've never been able to give up my 25 year old 1096 RP is because I've never seen another 10wt over 9'.

Look up SHU-FLY base out of nanuet ny he has them

If you do not need 10wt pulling power but want a 10ft rod which casts 10wt line there are few which are used in ICSF distance casting competition in Seatrout-class max 10ft rod. Line head weight is limited to 27g (~416gr) which correlates a 11wt line head weight. These rods make 130ft + casts possible.

MSX Sapphire 8100-4 is not expensive, free shipping and to outside EU there is 20% tax deduction.

Zpey Competition SH 1007 is labeled only 7wt but manufacturer advertise 24-30g (370-460gr) line weight.

There might be more but it seems these two were used the most in ICSF Nordic Open 2011.

Local66,

Americans can sometiemes be a tad perochial. :) Herb may well be able to get you a stunning 10x10. I fish CTS in 9X9 and 9x10 and they superceeded my Sage Xi2's. I share beach time between Sage and CTS now as I don't drop old friends cheaply.

Why not drop HL a PM. Just a thought.

Mike

Local66,

Americans can sometiemes be a tad perochial. :) Herb may well be able to get you a stunning 10x10. I fish CTS in 9X9 and 9x10 and they superceeded my Sage Xi2's. I share beach time between Sage and CTS now as I don't drop old friends cheaply.

Why not drop HL a PM. Just a thought.

Mike

I have some flies going out to Herb, I'll add a little note to the package. Thanks for the heads up guys.

I think I have an old Loomis 10 foot 10 wt IMX rod (2 piece) rod sitting in the corner of my hunting and fishing command center. I will look tonight. If anyone wants it for a fair price I'd be willing to sell it since I have not used it in years. Let me know.

Try the Temple Forks TRCi 10 footer for a 9 wt. line.

Inexpensive, and I made the longest cast with that rod that I ever made with any weight forward line. That's counting through ALOT of rods and rod weights. A LOT of them!

It is plenty powerful enough compared to any 10 wt.

4 piece too.

All My Best,

Mark

If you do not need 10wt pulling power but want a 10ft rod which casts 10wt line there are few which are used in ICSF distance casting competition in Seatrout-class max 10ft rod. Line head weight is limited to 27g (~416gr) which correlates a 11wt line head weight. These rods make 130ft + casts possible.

MSX Sapphire 8100-4 is not expensive, free shipping and to outside EU there is 20% tax deduction.

Zpey Competition SH 1007 is labeled only 7wt but manufacturer advertise 24-30g (370-460gr) line weight.

There might be more but it seems these two were used the most in ICSF Nordic Open 2011.

The heads are mostly made (cut) from #7 and #8 lines (Barrio GT140S and DT lines) . A 22m long head is totally different animal than a same weight 10m head - the latter feels much heavier and bends the rod more. If someone is after a 10wt rod, I would look elsewhere.

An 8# DT line, cut at 72' would weigh 552gns and is the equivalent of "about" 15 weight.

The 8# DT line would be 230gns for the front 30' like about 7.6gns/ft for 72 feet.

ergo 552gns..

MaxG.

An 8# DT line, cut at 72' would weigh 552gns and is the equivalent of "about" 15 weight.

The 8# DT line would be 230gns for the front 30' like about 7.6gns/ft for 72 feet.

ergo 552gns..

MaxG.

When target is 420gr the length of the shooting head becomes what it becomes. Barrio GT140S is cheap and efficient line for very long casts and 420gr of WF8 is ~17m (~55ft) and 420gr of GT140S WF7 is ~21m (~69ft).

Sakke meant that when we cast a very long up to 75ft shooting heads casting needs to be so fluid that it does not load rod as much as shorter line does.

PS the head weight, like the first 30' of an 11# line, the front taper weighs 330gns, the AFFTA rating.

MaxG.

Yes Max but is is not very nice or efficient to cast only a 330gr shooting head with 11wt rod. About 420gr feels and casts better and could be ~37ft of DT11, ~44ft of DT10 or 32ft of DT12 etc. But a scale is needed because lines have very big tolerances.

Esa