Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

Toilet drains slow

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

The toilet upstairs started to drain slow about 3 weeks ago weeks ago. The bowl not the tank drians slowly and not completelty. IT doesnt clear itself completely when flushed. There are no leaks and the tank drains totally, so I think the problem is beyond the bowl. I changed all the guts out today and no improvment at all. The down stairst oilet works just fine no issues at all.

so any idea what might be the issue? The stack? The pipe (though ive plunged the living daylihgts outta it, not snaked )

oh yeah its one of those low flow toilets, in the 5 yrs its been here its never been a bit of trouble.

Eat more fiber......:p;)

More seriously, sounds like the pipe between the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms (am assuming both toilets go in the same waste pipe) is clogged with something. Get a snake...........or interrogate the kids about the pen or action figure they dumped into it....;)

I had the same problem years ago - drove me nuts.

Ended up pulling the toilet, and it was a toothbrush. :mad:

It's different than a true clog, because it does go down, and if you plunge, it does go down, but that toothbrush across it was enough to slow everything down.

I had the same problem years ago - drove me nuts.

Ended up pulling the toilet, and it was a toothbrush. :mad:

It's different than a true clog, because it does go down, and if you plunge, it does go down, but that toothbrush across it was enough to slow everything down.

Yup....and in a case like that, most times a snake won't even help cause it will just snake around it.

Buy, borrow or rent a toilet auger. A decent one costs 30 bucks at home depot. Pays for itself. If that doesn't work the last resort is yanking the toilet and taking out the obstruction.

Don't bother asking the kid/s or wife, they'll lie to ya! If it still drains, as you say, ya got sumpin in your toilet trap! It has always amazed me what the item is, AND that NOBODY knows how it got there! I hope yer able to lift yer terlit! Damn shame, but if it won't wash down on it's own, a snake will go right past it. I found a Copenhagen snuff can one time!  biggrin.gif (get a new wax ring & closet bolts before ya pull it.)

Do you have one of those shelves above the toilet full of all kinds of stuff combs, brushes , junk......

cost me $100.00 one time to remove a tooth brush and 5 minutes to remove the dam shelve.

good luck

I agree. Try a toilet auger first. If that doesn't work. Then you need to pull the toilet and snake the pipe. My bet will be the toilet auger fixes it.

Buy, borrow or rent a toilet auger. A decent one costs 30 bucks at home depot. Pays for itself. If that doesn't work the last resort is yanking the toilet and taking out the obstruction.

John, the fact that your floor isn't wet around the toilet indicates to me that the obstruction is in the toilet trap. If it was below the toilet, the water usually seeps past the wax ring or its flange onto the floor.

If you buy a closet auger, get it at a plumbing supply house and spend an extra 7-10 bucks and get the heavy duty General model. Your kids will inherit it. A low level of water in the bowl usually means a clog below. If augering dosent work let us know as other problems can cause bad flush.

I agree. Try a toilet auger first. If that doesn't work. Then you need to pull the toilet and snake the pipe. My bet will be the toilet auger fixes it.

And Arby knows! ;)

Cabo

If it's a toothbrush the auger might go right past it, and if it's a toothbrush it may flush o.k. with just pee, but slow down with any paper - is that what's happening?

See how far you can snake your hand in there and see if you feel anything, or better yet, get the wife to do it as you probably have chubby wrists.

Next thing, try a piece of wire with a loop on the end and see if you can snag anything.