Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fly By Nite

Tungsten

3 posts in this topic

I've got loads of tungsten beads for when i tied nymphs in the smaller sizes like 16, 18 and smaller...it made sense in that application considering the size of my offering. But for LMB i don't get it, perhaps someone can explain the advantages of tungsten vs. less expensive lead. With the bigger jigs does it really matter...1 oz Tungsten = 1 oz lead. If you have environmental concerns then i'm with ya, but otherwise...:confused:

Tungsten is overall much better for bass fishing than lead. Much denser, 30% smaller per weight when compared to lead, and much more durable. Because it is denser it is much more sensitive as well, especially when combined with lead. And because of the small size, you have a better presentation than lead because fish aren't freaked out at the giant hunk of lead. This is especially true when punching and flipping with bigger weights, 1 ounce and up. Also, tungsten allows jig makers to make a jig with a much smaller head and profile, which is great for finesse presentations. Plus, because it is denser and harder, your jigheads don't get all mashed up when your cast goes awry.

I think the other post largely hit it...density allows for smaller profile which can be significant, and better for environment.

Only thing I'd add is acoustics. In stained water or night, you sometimes want the cleaner "ding" you get off rocks and structure with hard tungsten vs soft lead.