Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irv Mac Dowell

Lehr propane outboards

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

There's been talk about the new propane-fueled small outboards made by Lehr. They seem to be a very viable alternative to gasoline as a small auxiliary or emergency motor. I'm using a Torqeedoon my new sailboat, but the Lehr might have been an alternative. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Irv

(*edited - please don't discuss other forums here, thanks. And one person who is 'mentioning' these motors is a representative of the country spamming various forums :) - TimS)

(*edited - I'm sorry, we don't allow infomercial/advertisements here - if you would like to advertise your client's products, please contact advertise@stripersonline.com -  thanks. TimS)

The video was interesting, although sounds like they are available only in low horsepower models. Just pop in a propane canister that we all use for household soldering and off you go. Can also hook up to the same tank you normally use for the BBQ grill.

There's been talk about the new propane-fueled small outboards made by Lehr. They seem to be a very viable alternative to gasoline as a small auxiliary or emergency motor. I'm using a Torqeedoon my new sailboat, but the Lehr might have been an alternative. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Irv

How do you like the Torquedo?

What size and how much run time w/ what batteries?

Mac,

I haven't used it yet. That will happen in Olympia, Wa when I pick up the boat. My boatbuilder has built two yawls that have a motorwell and Torqeedos. Both are 1000's. Originally, the owners chose long shafts, but Torqeedo shafts are 3 inches longer than typical American shafts, so I chose a short shaft which has adequate hull clearance and sufficient length. That short shaft is 18 inches long. Mine is the Travel 1000s model.

I chose the Torqeedo for several reasons; 1. It could be disassembled and stowed under a forward compartment without worrying about gas leakage and fumes. While sailing, the motor will always be pulled out of the well and stowed to avoid propeller drag. 2. It's easily handled when disassembled since each piece is fairly light. 3. Its approximately 3 HP is more than adequate at slow and medium speeds to push the 600 or so pounds that my yawl will weigh. 4. Unlike other electrics, it has a relatively small light battery that can't fall over or leak. 5. It has a built-in, GPS driven display that reads out remaining battery time and distance. 6. I can always add and carry an, albeit expensive, extra battery if I need it.

While the price seems high, about $1700 from Defender Industries, when compared to a small 2 or 4 stroke motor it is close.

Had I known about them, I might have considered a Lehr propane motor, though they are considerably heavier, and relatively new and untested. Based on the experience of others, the Torqeedo is my best choice.

Since my yawl will mostly be using wind power (I hope!), the several hours of run time at medium speeds should be more than adequate.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Irv

I will be very interested in the propane engine performance when anyone has reports. I suppose an equivalent parallel technology are the propane ice auger engines but they run for substantially shorter periods.